Spitfire V Trop - Aces of the Malta

Started by capt. R · 191 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Cockpit ready to assembly.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Hard to believe it is an 1/72 cockpit, my friend @lis!
    Looks wonderful!

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Lol, with TC's comments, he is right about his comments about the Malta Spitfires experts. There a dime a dozen. Sometimes the modeler has to not only do the modeling but, do some homework and research on there own and source some photos. Beurling was a hunter and not a Chicago style machine gun expert who drove up to aircraft and blasted planes out of the sky like Bong. Looking at some photos and reading bits of Beurling's bio . . . if your using deflection shots and ambushing the enemy why would you advertise your coming with a red nose? I would lean more towards the blue. If you go with black since none of the experts (eye witnesses) where on Malta at the time . . . blame your choice of color on the fog of war.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Yeah, no. Read what I wrote about the Buerling Spitfire up in groups (desert war)

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 3 months ago:

The only truth and nothing but, the truth is to have evidence (Lawyering up) unless someone can find a piece of Spitfire some where on the island or pull a Spitfire carcass from the sea everything becomes, subjective. This what I hate about some aspects of modeling in that a model represents a snap shot or a "Snap Chat" and machines and men age with the advent of time and are constantly changing. Maybe folks should include a time stamp when presenting a model . . . on this day, at this time and in this country. At best you can prove a hypothesis. The truth is out there.

I noticed TC that you carefully constructed your comments on a specific aircraft as good historians do. Some writers and artists are under contract and are trying to meet dead lines and with 24hr news cycles the pressure to get things out waters down the truth.

• Profile Photo

@johnb

@fiveten

@stephen-w-towle

@tcinla

Very upset, all day, putting and sanding. Airfix is much better! Most of rivets on tropical filter I need to rescribe. So on Airfix Spitfire they are not nessesery! Interestingly, the manufacturer's model was made over half a year ago and I thought that nothing would surprise me. As far as I remember, in the previous construction there were problems with the wings when it comes to fitting. This time the wings were not problematic, but the tropical filter was a pain. In the previous construction, the filter went quite smoothly (apart from the fact that it does not fit well in the set, it looks too narrow). It turns out that the differences in the cast of the C-type wings that I have done before and the B-type wings that I do now are important during assembly. in general, the B-type wing is cast better and in more detail. The C-type wing is a clear extension of the range. The manufacturer for the finished Spitfire Vb kit, cast a new form of wings (but less detailed), added a few small details and launched a new model.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Your filling and sanding will pay off for sure, my friend @lis!
    Looks good!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten
    I hop so 🙂 But I'm very tired after this work.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

I fully understand you're being upset, Lis @lis
    Puttying and sanding is the least, but unfortunately one of the most important part of modelling.
    Your build will definitely benefit from your work.

• Profile Photo

http://www.century-of-flight.freeola.com/Aviation%20history/WW2/aces/Irving%20Farmer%20Kennedy.htm

About pilot of BP535, F/O Irving Hap Kennedy. Plane in upper right corner is BP535.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 2 months ago:

@johnb

@fiveten

@stephen-w-towle

@tcinla

In this build I try to use maxiumum of kit parts, without not nessesary aftermarket parts. The exception was the pilot's seat, which felt completely toy without the belts, which I replaced with Quickoost resin. So I use Hispano gun barrels from the kit. Also forgot gun bulges under wings. Unfortunetly I can't drill it from the center of wings (because I glued wings before this fact). So I sand montage pin, and glued with extra thin Tamiya glue.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Clever trick, my friend @lis!
    Looks nice!

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 2 months ago:

@fiveten
    Thank You! putting the model together was quite exhausting and I forgot about these small elements. Worse, I still don't know which painting is better ...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Well, better is the painting that pleases your eyes most, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Rome wasn't built in a day. Sometimes it helps to come up for air and do a little reflection. Yeah, you get spoiled when doing some of these newer Airfix kits. I've got some of the early KP kits and at the time they where the only thing in town. You do have some replacement parts on the way for the Airfix project. Something to look forward too.
    The painting will come to you when you give it the time to come.