Special Hobby 1/32 Bell Airacobra Mk.1, Военно-воздушные силы СССР

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 35 · 1 week ago · 1/32, Airacobra, Eastern Front GB, P-39, P-400, Special Hobby
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

First puttying...

and overall progress so far... Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 3 months ago:

This is looking very nice indeed, @fiveten.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Nicely progressing, Spiros @fiveten

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

I added some mesh to the otherwise bland "exits" of the radiator and oil cooler air exits...

... here are the louvers attached, partly open for more dynamic looks... ...and here she is puttied, together with her little 1/48 sisters, at more or less similar stages of construction... Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Those air exits do look much better this way, Spiros @fiveten
    Quite impressive to see the dimension differences in 1/48 and 1/32

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Looks great so far, Spiros @fiveten. The SH kit seems to fit pretty well apart from a bit of putty here and there. I like your approach to getting the fuselage together before painting the cockpit floor and bulkheads, since it is so open and accessible before details are added. I fuss too much about painting pits in advance sometimes and end up marring the paint in the build process . BTW - I am also working on an Eduard P-39Q in 1/48 which has been a sitting in pieces in a cupboard for about 5 years now. You are inspiring me to follow the parallel build idea. I am more motivated to work in 1/32nd these days. I also have the exact same Special Hobby P-400 kit in 1/32 on order now from the Czech Republic. I plan to do a kit bash with two Kitty Hawk kits I have to make a Shark Mouth P-400 from the 67th FS in New Caledonia (with home made shark mouth stencils) and a Soviet P-39Q. I may get a third P-39 out of the deal but I mainly want to augment the Kitty Hawk kits with SH parts for the exhaust stacks, landing gear and other parts.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb! Indeed, the size difference is impressive!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @coling! Indeed, painting the cockpit at late stages offers the advantages you mentioned. The SH kit needed some attention to the oil cooler air inlets at the wing leading edges and, to a lesser extend, at the wing roots. Apart from those areas, the rest of the parts' fit was relatively good.

Looking forward to see your Airacobras progressing, with the usual Colin Gomez modeling magic added to them!

• Profile Photo

Sanded smooth, together with her sisters, still filling and sanding to go...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

My least favorite acitvity, sanding, Spiros @fiveten

• Profile Photo

Indeed, my friend @johnb, especially when dealing with a limited run kit...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Wow! 14 months already passed🤔
    Anyway, here she is, still fighting with the phantom seams, this time at the starboard wing leading edge...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Time flies, Spiros @fiveten
    Glad you continued to work on this Airacobra.