F-16A 322 Squadron Polly Grey

Started by Alfred van Paaschen · 52 · 5 months ago · 322SQN, F16, KLu, PollyGrey, RNLAF, Viper
  • Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Hi John, I’m glad you enjoyed your visit to N.M.M. @johnb
    I believe the exhibition on the F-16 ends in a couple of weeks so you were well on time!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 1 week ago:

@alfred, indeed, Alfred. The F-16 exhibition ends on January 7th.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 5 months ago:

As I mentioned earlier in this thread the kit (Italeri 2786) is quite mediocre in terms of detailing, fitting and especially the decals are a disappointment.

The canopy is just too wide for the fuselage, so I could not establish a proper fit as you can tell from the pictures below. Off course I could have opted for a canopy in open position,
    but the cockpit simply has a substantial lack of detail to allow for this.

With respect to the decals, I observed the following:
    ⁃ the decal with the text “WWW.322SQUADRON60JAAR.NL” is simply too short for the tail section.
    ⁃ the decals for the demarcation of the STEP/NO STEP areas are too small as well, so I had to cannibalise the decals meant for the area between the wing-root and the horizontal stabilizers, to make the other ones fitting the designated areas on the wings.
    ⁃ the decals representing the “Frisian roots” of this aircraft and to be placed on the ventral fins are incorrect as the water lily leafs look more like a row of Pac-Mans to me).

And lastly, my fault, the kit is also a tail sitter as I forgot to add some weight in the nose as it was not mentioned in the instructions. Grrr … Hence the sticky gum under the nose wheel.

Anyway, here’s the result of my struggles with a few annotations. Hope you like it.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 5 months ago:

I do like it. Despite all the close-ups highlighting some flaws, the end result looks good, and I am quite certain it will look on the shelf with the smokewinders and polly making it quite different to your everyday F-16...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months ago:

She looks pretty nice, Alfred @alfred
    Despite some few minor issues, the end result is really impressive.
    Polly would be proud of it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months ago:

You did a really good job on this challenging build, my friend @alfred!

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 5 months ago:

Thanks so much, guys! @airbum @johnb @fiveten