F-16AM Block 15 323 Sqn Klu

Started by David Odenwald · 60 · 1 month ago
  • Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Here is a nice side view of J-248 of 323 Sqn with the very racy depiction of the squadron's namesake Diana, goddess of the Hunt - https://www.f-16.net/g3/f-16-photos/album37/album13/J-248_003

Kit is the Kinetic F-16AM Block 15 NATO Viper kit # K48002. Decals will be the Astra Decals ASD48-11. Eduard will be contributing set 49481. Still need a canopy mask set, well look in a box of various AM bits and there is the Kinetic F-16 canopy mask. So I am all set I guess..

There is a nice side profile photo of J-248 on page 25 of Dressed to Kill: One-off Air Force Color Schemes by Mark Attrill. Book has plenty of color photos of other Vipers sporting special schemes.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

A great choice, David @kahu
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Welcome aboard David!

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Another KLu viper, great! That makes 3 already. @kahu

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

This GB is going to be plentiful of tail art! I like this one very much David

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks for the warm welcome. THREE KLU Vipers? Oh no, the Dutch are going to take over the build. 😉

Ever since I saw the tail art in Mark Attrill's book, it made me want to build an F-16. There have been several other Diana tails with this squadron since then, one got censored at the last minute.

http://www.dacoproducts.com/KAst19F.html

But they sell decals if one wants to build the censored version.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Been looking over the instructions and well I basically wrote a novel listing all the corrections needed, from wrong paint colors to wrong lower tail assembly. But I am double checking myself before committing.

Two errors that are pretty obvious is the instructions on Step 8 saying to paint part C2 a burnt metal color and not white like the rest of the intake and Kinetic recycling from their F-16I an illustration for Step 13 as the ESM antennas on the wing leading edges are shown, naturally F-16AM Block 15s don't have such antennas.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Very good work on the preperations, David @kahu
    Easier to correct them up forehand instead of during the build.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Thanks. Kinetic instructions, if left unchecked, are a roadmap to frustration I have learned.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Good hints David. I’ll be double checking mine for sure. Each European operator has different batches F-16s though all up standard to MLU bases. Even so slight details differ

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Here is one area Kinetic gets wrong - the extended parachute housing at the base of the tail. Option C is correct for J-248.

Decided to dress things up some more and purchased an Eduard Brassin F-16 ladder for this build.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Good observation, David @kahu
    The ladder will look very nice.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John @johnb. For "Dirty Diana" found another thing to fix. My photo reference shows no pitot tube on the vertical tail so that also has to be removed from the kit. Other Dutch F-16s in photos have the pitot tube, so check references.

• Profile Photo

Like John @johnb have started on the F-16A as it seems i am about finished with the TBD Devastator.

Logical start would be the tail with extended housing for the parachute. So naturally find on the parts plenty of injection pin plastic in need of removal. Yay.

Instructions have one install the parachute and then glue the halves. Instead I sanded the back end of the parachute with a bevel edge and it now slips into the assembled housing.

Another problem with the instructions is all the color call outs are suspect hence my note to paint the parachute a dark green color.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Good work on the parachute, David @kahu
    Something I also need to add on mine.