F-16C, Hasegawa 1/72 USAF

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 39 · 2 weeks ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Will start with the cockpit, step 1.

Basic tub type cockpit with molded in pedals. Painted 36320 Dk Gull Grey. The side consoles are devoid of details as decals are used in their place of moulded in details.

The Pavla Resin Aces II seat will be painted later in the build, so will put that aside.

Eduards PE side consoles are a direct fit on each side console panels on the cockpit. The first panel is also attached to the IP.

The side control stick is painted and then installed to the RH side console.

Next to paint the seat, and move on to step 2.

More to follow...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Awesome cockpit, my friend @uscusn! The extras are fantastic!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Nice work on the cockpit, Chuck @uscusn

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 months ago:

Thanks Spiros and John, even in this scale the Zoom set will be a nice touch for the interior. That clear bubble canopy has a clear view.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 months ago:

This time is build the main gear bay with in the lower fuselage half.

The components are pre painted white and installed into the lower fuselage half.

Next is to paint and attach the control stick, and then attach the cockpit tub in place.

And just like that I can assemble the fuselage halves. The kit is balance so the use of weight should not be needed, I wonder if i goofed. The the finger tests so far a nose down tipping at center point. The top and bottom design in mating the halves also hides the seams that I only need to take care around the nose.

Next step is to assemble the intake scoop.

The intake itself is one piece which the splitter is slipped into a slot from the top and centered. The splitter is painted black. The intake interior is Gloss White. A bit shallow, but ok in this scale. Not so in 48th.

Next is to assemble the lower fuselage and nose gear well.

This does assemble quickly, the nose gear bay centered. Also painted Gloss White.

Next up to install the intake, and install the wings and tail.

more to follow...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months ago:

Coming together nicely, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months ago:

Very nice progress, Chuck @uscusn
    I can guarantee you that even without additional nose weight, it will keep the nose down.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks Spiros and John, I check the balance seems like nose weight is not needed on the F-16.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Step 4 some under surface details next to attach.

First to attach the lower strakes. The slot are slightly larger than the tabs slip into. They are also handed to make sure you put the correct side in place.

Next too attach the assembled intake assy.

Next step is too attach the wings, horizontal stabs and the tail assembly.

The rudder is 2 pieces, The tail itself is solid where as the base of the tail is in halves. The C model has a longer fillet to the top fuselage.

This time the slot is not oversized for the tail to slip into place.

Next are the wings. 1 piece parts each side, with the lower wing panel pre-drilled for the weapons pylons.

The wing fit is ok, the RH lower side has a small gap to fill.

Finally the horizontal all flying stabilators are installed, I did put them in a slight down position. I know but it is the Navy in me.

Next up some airframe seam clean up, install the glass.

More to follow

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great overall progress, my friend @uscusn!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Some great progress, Chuck @uscusn
    I was affraid at first as well that this kit would be a tail sitter but it turned out that even without additional nose weight she keeps the nose wheel down nicely.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Chuck A. Villanueva (@uscusn)
    Looks very nice ! I'm checking the pair of Monogram Vipers I have underway to see if I need to add any weight in the nose cone before they are glued in position permanently.

Your Hasegawa kit has more details in it at 1/72 scale, than mine do at a larger 1/48. I need to keep reminding myself that my Monogram kits are over 40 years old now. Where did the time go ? I remember building one as a kid.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

You have really been moving along on this one, Chuck (@uscusn). The PE really dresses up what would be a fairly plain cockpit. Seat will look great in the cockpit and will make a big difference in the way it looks. I just got started on mine and my biggest problem is how small all of the cockpit parts are. I knew there was a reason I usually build 1/48 kits.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks Spiros, appreciate your encouragement.

Thanks John, I was contemplating putting a lead weight in the nose. Before assembling the fuselage. But after building 3 F-16's prior, 72nd scale Fujimi, a pair of 48th scale, one Italeri and a Hasegawa and all did not require nose weight.

Louis: Hasegawa was the standard when the "K" series of kits started in the mid 70's in this scale. This F-16 is based on the original F-16A with updated parts and decals. Which first appeared in 1976. The details are still crisp and a great base kit to enhance build an excellent model.

George: Once the cockpit is done it assembles rather quickly which is the nature of a jet this scale. Not over engineered, no gimics, straight forward. Yet blow this up into 1/48th scale and it takes me forever to get to this point with more details to work with in the larger scale.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

First was to paint the seat and put it off to the side. I can at times still pick out the details with a brush and not always rely on PE belts. The sharp details on resin helps as they are more defined even in this scale.

Next is to work on the lower fuselage.

First was to install the center divider with in the wheel bay.

Next was to install the lower fuselage filler panel.

Next the rear canopy glass was installed and the canopy placed loosely over the cockpit. The seat will be installed later.

Next is to start on the pylons and drop tanks.

First to assemble the drop tanks.

Next to attach the pylons.

This version of the "C" is configured with 8 weapon stations on the wings, 4 on each side, one set being the missile rails on the wing tips. This will be a Desert Storm F-16 in the early stage of the war with a ground attack war load. With Aim-9L Sidewinders for self defense.

Next up, weapons of choice, mask off the canopy and pre-shading.

More to follow