YF-16 Prototype - visit from a ghost from the past

Started by George Schembri · 23 · 5 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 8 months ago:

Excellent idea Erik for starting this group and thank you for the invitation - this is already looking to be an excellent group build of a great aircraft.

I had the pleasure of completing a couple of F-16s in the last couple of months and came up with an idea which kind of faded - but this group build sparked that thought once again, and I’m excited to get things going.

I wish to build the 1/72 prototype from my youth, I found pieces of it in my extra parts box when I built the ‘Canadian’ F-16 with my nephew, and the memories all came back.

Here is a couple of actual photographs I took as a teenager after finishing the original Minicraft/Hasegawa. It was finished with Humbrol enamels sprayed with my Paasche H1 tipped airbrush. I remember the headaches of cleaning that airbrush and the solvents used for the enamels. Thank goodness I now use acrylics!

I recently found the Hasegawa YF-16 kit #011 ‘used and abuse' with missing parts but decals intact!

I’ll be sun bleaching the decals to use in this build.

I’m looking at using the Italeri Kit #130 for this prototype build. It appears this kit has the proper nose and the proper fuselage access door detail, but I'll do some extra checks.

The original Hasegawa #011 has no fuselage access doors/hatches - I pretty sure, looking at some old photos, the prototype had a single row of doors on each side of the fuselage - also need to do some more checks.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 8 months ago:

Here are the original parts I kept as spares from my original Minicraft/Hasegawa 1980’s build. I also found parts from a 1980’s build of the Revell kit #4437 which was finish in USAF Grey. I actually just used the Original M/H stabilizers on the recent RNLAF build, as the kit I used did not have the original small stabs.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months ago:

Looking forward to it, George @georgeswork
    Your old Falcons do look great.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 8 months ago:

Welcome aboard George. Looking forward to this!

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 7 months, 1 week ago:

Well, I was trying to conclude if the first 2 prototypes had the fuselage access hatched or not. After viewing about a dozen photos on the web, I still hadn't figured it out; then I thought, 'why not got to the actual aircraft'?

The first prototype YF-16, 72-1567, is now on display at the Virginia Air and Space Center, Hampton, Virginia.

I emailed the museum, asking if any photos were available. I did get a nice email which included a few photos.

Unfortunately, the location of the aircraft did not allow for any clear direct photos.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I was wondering if the Italeri kit was the kit to use and thought of other alternatives and what was the objective of this build. I figured I should build the actual kit from the '80s, but I was missing parts from the Hasegawa kit. 🙁
    Just a week or two ago, I came upon the Academy kit #12444, which turns out to be a 'copy' of the original Hasegawa kit!

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking for a complete set of decals for the Yf-16 prototypes, I did come upon a website selling what I was looking for. The website was:
    https://www.timosmodelworld.com/Decals-1-72-Scale-for-yf-16-F16-Prototype-Model-Kits-64701C-p1802862.html
    Figuring it was only $9 USD and Paypal would protect me if anything went awry, I order the decals. Sure enough, the decals showed up a week or so later.
    The photo shows the ordered, the origianl Hasegawa decals and the Academy decals.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 7 months, 1 week ago:

That is a nice set of decals for an offordable amount of money, George @georgeswork

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 7 months, 1 week ago:

A nice set of decals, even including the Danish flag in the lineup of buyers 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks John (@johnb) and Erik (@airbum)
    The Danish Flag is definitely there Erik, it was on the 2nd prototype aircraft #01568 – I read somewhere that last flag is Iran - original considered to be a buyer during the Shah regime.

Here are some photos of a little progress on these basic kits
    I happened to find another Academy kit # 12444 for the cheap price of $5. It was then that I thought of having the extra decals and since the Academy kit copies the Hasegawa close enough, maybe I can use some of the parts from the extra Academy kit to fill in the missing parts and complete the Hasegawa model. I would need to use the jet intake and the nose from the Academy kit and I will need to use the original Red/White/Blue Rudder Tail from the original ‘80s Hasegawa build. Therefore, it looks like I am going to have 2 prototypes. Maybe both Red/White/Blue or maybe one build of the camouflaged prototype – I don’t know.
    I found the original cockpit from the OLD Revel kit (#H-222 I believe) in my spare parts box and wanted to use it for the Hasegawa prototype. I had to add the joystick, repainted the seat, and added some masking tape seat belts. It was a perfect fit in the Hasegawa fuselage.
    I also found a Hasegawa cockpit tub and seat from a recent build in the spare parts box. I added the tape belts and had to shave it down a bit to fit inside the Academy fuselage.
    When I started gluing, you can see the Hasegawa kit just fits together a little tighter than the Academy kit. I added the nose section to each build, I’ll need to do some sanding and filling on both build. The Hasegawa front pitot tube looks much finer than the Academy but it just did not fit, so both builds get Academy noses.
    Next was fitting the air intakes together – both will be Academy. The Academy intakes fit quite nicely onto the Hasegawa fuselage but some filler may be required when I get there. First I decided the carve out the shallow intake scoops to add some depth. Definitely looks better.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

As an added note - It looks like the Italeri Kit No 130 that I was thinking of using will get featured on another build. I found MODELDECAL NO 89 sheet which featured BAF F-16A, #FA-18 BAF FA-18 (Block 5).
    This F-16 was the first ever Belgian F-16 to receive a dedicated paintjob.
    So... MAYBE I'll add another F-16 to the GB.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

You're making some real good progress, George @georgeswork
    Would love to see another Falcon added.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Lots of scratchbuilding in these - nice!

• Profile Photo

Thanks again Thanks John (@johnb) and Erik (@airbum).

Did a bit of sanding and putty work. things are moving along.

Did a dry fit on the intakes onto the lower fuselage.

The Academy scoop intake on the Hasegawa fuselage fits ok - a bit of a gap but nothing that a bit of putty can't fix. The Academy build has a nice snug fit.

Since this Hasegawa kit is missing a few parts, I intend to use the original Tail Stab from the '80s Hasegawa build onto the new Hasegawa build - I need to figure out how to strip off the original enamel paint. I heard soaking in brake fluid does wonders and will not damage the plastic.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Progressing nicely, George @georgeswork