YF-16 Prototype - visit from a ghost from the past

Started by George Schembri · 23 · 5 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

Not sure if I recall it correctly, but hasn't there been some talk of oven cleaner somewhere on iModeler?

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 6 months, 2 weeks ago:

I gave the DOT3 brake fluid a try. After soaking for 24 hours the brake fluid took off the decals and the old gloss coat, but just ‘bleached’ the 40 years old Humbrol enamel. It looks like a might need to try the oven cleaner -BUT- first I need to find the tail piece. I washed it up and placed it somewhere and I cannot find it! I’m sure it’ll turn up somewhere. It’ll probably be found in the last place I look.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Humbrol enamel are really stubborn to remove, George @georgeswork
    Let's hope the oven cleaner will get it done.
    And yes, likely you will find it at the last location.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 6 months, 1 week ago:

You may put up a "WANTED" poster near your bench? Fingers crossed it turns up soon.

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Thanks gents, I was in a rush to start making dinner on the BBQ and I must have placed it in a weird spot - but it’ll turn up I’m sure.
    Meanwhile, I had to sand the belly of the Hasegawa fuselage. I used an enamel flat white primer spray can for the base coat on all parts and everything looked great except the belly, the spray can ‘burped’ and the belly looked like a stucco ceiling. Some 600 grit wet paper took care of the splatter. I always find white the toughest finish to paint.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 6 months, 1 week ago:

It's been more than 24 hours - I am starting to get worried about this little guy... 🙁
    I'll take Erik's suggestion and I'll post this on our fridge in the kitchen.
    But don't worry, I have a back up Academy part available.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 1 week ago:

Nice progress on the fuselage, George @georgeswork
    Let's hope your family members will find this part.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent so far, my friend @georgeswork!
    Let's hope you will find the part.