”I Have the Cuckoo!” – Sgt Masterson, Barrosa, Spain, 1811

Started by Rob Pollock · 26 · 9 years ago · Andrea Color, Stormtroopers Miniatures, Vallejo Model Color
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 9 years, 7 months ago:

That's an interesting subject Rob. I have great admiration for competent figure modelers such as yourself. Sgt. Masterson looks like he's come back to life! I tried figure modeling about 20 years ago with a couple of American Civil War soldiers and couldn't get the faces right. Looking forward to seeing him complete.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks, John. Interesting that you mentioned Civil War figures. The same firm that has produced this one also do a series 'North and South' with some nice examples.

After my earlier entry re waiting for Cadmium Red to dry, I realised I'd have to rework the edges of the CR adjacent the other colours in any case, so moved ahead and have base-coated these other areas now - scarlet sash and green areas - which will put me in the position of highlighting/lowlighting across all areas in the next few days.

Also have found a good photo of a (reconstructed) Regiment flag of the French 8th, so I can now see the breakdown of the colours properly, which hopefully will assist me when painting the furled example here.

Cheers for looking.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Great progress, i ever wondered how the soldiers of that time managed to keep these colorfull uniforms clean.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 7 months ago:

I think maybe our idea of them being clean and what they were really like, are two different things. Soldiers used to wear 'gators' over their lower legs and feet to help out mud and rubbish out of their poorly made shoes.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Awesome work Rob, you figure builders can really fly through this when you know what effect you want to achieve and how to do it. I on the other hand would still be trying to get the box open..

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Looks like you have a winner here Rob. I like to think I build out of my comfort zone but I have never been brave enough to do a figure or a bust.
    Not a criticism but a suggestion, when you post this on Headlines you might try it in natural sunlight or at least without the flash. I think the flash is washing out the colors. You get a hint of the natural colors in the last two shots.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks for looking in, Rick.

• Profile Photo

Hi Al. Yes you may have seen earlier in the thread that I said I needed to do a different setup for the photos. Previously I'd simply taken them with a nearby window providing profile lighting, but I get the afternoon sun directly against the window and even with the blinds closed it's too much light. Not such a big deal as a WIP record but as you rightly say it needs a more thoughtful approach for a Headlines posting.

As I'm now at the end of the project I'll do a proper layout to make the most of the colours.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Absolutely brilliant work Rob. Look forward to seeing it in Headlines.

• Profile Photo

As a P.S. I should add that I don't consider myself a figure painter; this is only my second bust. However, it's been a pleasant ten days' work and I look forward to the next painting project.

Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 6 months ago:

The time to follow your way was pleasant and worth every second, looks very good to my eye
    and i am looking forward to your next project

Bernd