Extreme Weathering on WWII Japanese Aircraft

Started by Rick Beman · 5 · 11 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Beman said 11 years, 1 month ago:

Hello Gentlemen,

I'm Returning to the hobby after a long hiatus. I'm looking into focusing on aircraft of the Pacific war. An area I've largely neglected in my modeling "career". I'm looking for some info on different techniques used to achieve the extreme paint chipping suffered by Japanese aircraft. Any books, on-line magazine articles would be helpful. TIA

Rick

• Profile Photo
    robert cooper said 11 years, 1 month ago:

For extreme weathering on Japanese aircraft, I use 3 different methods. My favorite is to paint the entire plane with Master Modelers Buffing aluminum plate metalizer, then metalizer sealer. Top coat with Tamiya acrylics in appropriate colors, chipping is then done with a toothpick. The Tamiya paint comes off very easily.

Another method is the hairspray technique, paint plane with your favorite silver, apply hairspray where you want chipping to show, then top coat with appropriate colors. When dry, use a wet brush to soften the hairspray underneath to remove top coat.

The third method is the salt method. paint with your favorite silver, let dry, apply water with a brush to areas of weathering, use table salt, rock salt and kosher salt for varying sizes, the salt sticks to the wet areas. Let dry, then top coat with appropriate colors. when dry, rub off salt crystals to reveal underlying silver.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Beman said 11 years, 1 month ago:

Robert,

Thank you for your helpful information. All three methods sound worthy of a try. The first one (your favorite) sounds safest and easiest. But I'll try 'em all.

Thanks again

Rick

• Profile Photo
    robert cooper said 11 years, 1 month ago:

Rick,
    Yes,try them all, it's a great way to learn. you can always repaint them. contrary to popular belief or myths, most Japanese aircraft did not exhibit the extreme weathering depicted on most models and profiles. most of us weren't there to see in real life and many photos are from the last days of the war of derelict planes. I paint them to more or less like the box art of the particular plane.

• Profile Photo
    Tappie Scholtz said 11 years, 1 month ago:

I usually use a silver pencil to do chipping and wear around the cockpit areas where the pilots would usually get in and out, on the wings where they would step/walk and around the leading edges, prop blades and other areas exposed to debris on landing and take off. I have seen pictures of extreme weathering on Japanese aircraft akin to years of abuse. I however believe at the rate of attrition that most aircraft did not last long enough to reveal that kind of abuse, and secondly that the ground crews, just as on the Allied side, kept the operational planes in good trim. But that is my opinion.