How do you guys mask large vac canopies?

Started by John Healy · 6 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 10 months ago:

I’ve never been good at this and have a vac canopy for a 1/48 SNJ inbound. I have a Montex mask for the kit part and have been thinking of modifying it if it fits the vac canopy. It’s also the reason I haven’t built my 1/48 Fairey Battle. Ideas appreciated.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

I think I've never masked a vacanopy, my friend @j-healy, I hand paint them.
    I use 10/0 brush and not thick paint.
    I usually try to secure the canopy, so it will not move, as I slowly and carefully work my painting, using the steadiest of hands I can!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros! I was thinking if your Battle as I typed! I’ve done well masking small ones supported by either modeling clay or the kit part but these big ones are daunting.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 10 months ago:

John, when I saw that you were going to get the vac canopy, my first thought was to grab some popcorn and observe your reports, my hope being that the masks will still suffice... So without further ado, I find myself looking for the answer to this same question! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 10 months ago:

@j-healy: you bite the bullet, put a new sharp #11 in the knife, take your Tamiya tape and rub it onto the canopy a pane at a time, and apply yourself to carefully cutting out the mask. A huge drag/bummer, but there you are.

If you have a mask like the Montex mask that fits the kit part, it will likely do just fine with the vac-form canopy.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Vac canopies are a great mystery to me, John (@j-healy). I have never been very good at cutting out and then securing a vac canopy to the model. Then there is the masking/painting. The last time I tried one I used small strips of masking tape and built up the edges using multiple small strips. I have also tried measuring each pane of the canopy and cutting the masks to-size and then adding them, but that required a ton of measure, cut, re-measure, re-cut, profanity, then start again.