Info needed ā€“ North African based B24dā€™s

Started by neil foster · 9 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Hi guys ,I recently picked up a 1/48 Monogram B24 D which I want to build up as "The Witch" one of the famous but ill fated Ploesti raiders,the info I need is as follows

1, What markings did these aircraft carry,where they stars and bars or white stars on a blue circle (some had a yellow edge)

2,I know I can get The Witch nose art and markings specific to that aircraft but does anyone know if I can get the correct stars

3,My kit has no belly turret (ball turret) yet I thought all B24's did so have I bought the wrong kit -again

4,I want to improve the kit with some resin weighted wheels but haven't found anything so does anyone know if they are available.

That's it for now .

Cheers N.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Neil:

They removed the ball turret to save weight is what I heard.

This was at the time of transition from the white star in a circle with yellow surround, to the same with bars and a red border/surround. I recall seeing a red bordered one that you could still see part of the the yellow, which kinda made sense.

Someplace I have the micro/superscale sheet for "Witch", I believe it has the yellow surround insignia. I'll look, and get back.

Yellow wings decals has the yellow surround insignia (various) in 1/48th.

I've also seen the "Witch" done in blacks and grays or more colorful. Dunno which (or both) is right.

RAF style fin flash on the tail(s) outers.

Others may know more.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 2 months ago:

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/b/327/3/0#44

Try that link, Neil. The color plates are down a few clicks. Looks like she's in sand or desert pink over light blue. Early style stars with no bars and yellow surrounds. No fin flashes on these drawings. Belly turret was removed to save weight and because Ploesti was a low level mission and there would have been no need for it. The color schemes for 9th AF B-24's were patchwork as some squadrons had come form the 8th AF in England, so there were OD and sand colored airplanes.

• Profile Photo

True Details 48024 has the wheels you need for your B-24...I think you can find them on eBay.

• Profile Photo

There it is.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 9 years, 2 months ago:

The Microscale sheet is 48-265. It says the "Witch" is Sand 30279 (modern FSN match) and gray 36473 lowers. AAF serial # 11840 letter "P" Serial # and letter are black.

I also have a Monogram Promodeler sheet done by Detail & Scale, it says 31575 uppers, 36173 (?) lowers. Barless, yellow surrounds on white stars on blue circles, which are not supplied. 98th bomb group, 343rd bomb squadron, 9th AF.

The colors of the "Witch" figures clothing are red on the micro and blacks and grays on the pro. Other differences as to size of the serial #, etc..

I'm for the promodeler, as microscale is noted for errors.

Given that the national insignia were changing, and the op tempo to get ready for Ploesti, all sorts of departures from the "official" regs can be expected.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys thats all very useful information,I can't wait to get this project started,I am going to complete a Trumpeter Seafang first though,if any iModellers have any info I can use for this project please post it ,Cheers -N.

• Profile Photo

Neil, I have some Spiteful/Seafang stuff buried in my archives somewhere at home. I'll see if I can dig them out and scan them for you.

• Profile Photo

Cheers Jaime, nice to hear from you, it's been a while šŸ™‚ -N