Model collection trashed by movers....

Started by Rob Anderson · 5 · 10 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 11 years, 2 months ago:

So I have been posting pictures of my model collection here since I recently moved to Seattle and all my kits were in boxes and had no current projects to show just yet. Well I unpacked a few tonight. Now mind you I just retired after 26 years in the Navy and have been moving my kits literally all over the world with near perfect results. I build custom boxes with heavy cardboard packing boxes and custom built foam inserts that I built around each kit to suspend them and hold them secure, ala an article in FSM from several years ago. I have had very little breakage over the years and one move from Japan, in a crate in a container ship I had no breakage using this method. Sadly I had not encountered Republic Movers. They opened the boxes and stuffed them with paper, breaking off wings landing gear, destroyed a ship kit as well as any Kamikaze. The guy who did the pre move survey said they were packed very well and would be fine. Too bad the clowns that actually did the packing couldn't leave well enough alone. Hopefully I will get some $$ from the government to replace things like my AM Helldiver and other kits that are hard to find. But the Devastator that I posted here...well maybe I can fix it. Oh the company was Republic Moving and Storage, didn't have a choice it was who was assigned me, lowest bidder and all.

• Profile Photo
    David Sakal said 11 years, 2 months ago:

Too bad about your models. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting to be reimbursed for damages though.. I packed my models when it came time to PCS and had very little damage at all. I packed each one in a plastic bag. That way if a part broke off at least it'd be with the rest of the model.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 11 years, 2 months ago:

It hurts to read this. How frustrating.

I once had a colleague who went to a major contest to the UK with his wonderfully painted resin figures. He used to take them carefully boxed and stuffed in his hand luggage and never had any problems. Out at the contest, one of his figures won gold in its category. On the way back from London some security staff on X-ray ordered him, despite his thorough explanations, that all the models (which contained only plastic) be checked-in with his suitcase. When he arrived back home, the winning figure had entirely pulverized. Presumably due to the resin not being formulated to withstand low temperatures.

• Profile Photo
    jeff stewart said 11 years, 2 months ago:

sad, but great excuse to buy some more. silver lining!

• Profile Photo
    Andy Anderson said 10 years, 11 months ago:

So sorry to hear about this! I had a built up collection of Aurara WWI models that got moved by movers and they totally destroyed everything----didn't even bother to put in any paper---just thrown in a box!