Picking your next project

Started by · 8 · 11 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    said 11 years, 3 months ago:

Having just completed my latest contribution I am already thinking about whats next? Like most modellers i have a stash/collection/horde of kits, some of which I bought 10 years ago! How do you deceide which one to do next? My inspiration mostly comes from reading. I enjoy historical and fictional military books. The Redtail Mustang i just finished was built after seeing the Movie that came out last year. With over 40 or more kits in my to do pile I find myself in a quandry about which to do next, and thought i'd se what you guys do to decide! Over to you folks...!

• Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 11 years, 3 months ago:

Gregor... I usually get my inspiration from those resources as well, but often I can be motivated by seeing a model at a contest, or a decal sheet, or on the computer, and that will trip my trigger.

• Profile Photo
    Lawrence R.(Larry) Schmidt said 11 years, 3 months ago:

I have about 70 kits in my stash, which I think is manageable. Sometimes I go with several builds in a row with a theme. Sometimes I will pull one out at random, and just go with it. Sometimes I get lucky and find a long-desired kit from the want-list available from e-Bay and it goes on the bench as soon as the mailman has driven away. Thanks to the folks in Czechoslovakia, the Ukraine, Russia, and Poland, I can finally have access to those models that I have wanted to build ever since I was a teenager. I have a CAC Wirraway, a Vindicator, an A-17A, and a P-61 mostly built waiting for paint, a Martin Mauler waiting for decals, a Bloch.174 waiting for final assembly, and a Grumman Guardian that I just started assembly on. That's where I'm at these days. Adios, Larry.

• Profile Photo
    said 11 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I-modeler certainly provides me with plenty of inspiration, and since joining i've spent more time on projects. Choosing from the stash is still proving difficult tho'! At the moment i'm trying to decide between the Trumpeter 1/72 Wellington 1c and a Hasegawa Hs 129 that has been waiting for a couple of years now...!

• Profile Photo
    William M. Winkes said 11 years, 3 months ago:

Like most of us mY inspiration comes from reading books or aviation history articles. A recent article about the failure of f-89's to down an unmanned a/c over Los Angeles is leading me to a project: Rocket Fighters of the Fifties. If I can keep myself motivated I will build 1/48th F-86D, F-89D, CF-100, Mk V, and a recently acquired F-94C. Not a bad reduction the stash.
    Bill

• Profile Photo
    Rick Beman said 11 years, 1 month ago:

Gregor,

Like you my inspiration comes mostly from my reading and an occasional TV program or movie. I'm also re-entering the hobby after a few years off and need to go through my rather considerable stash of kits and whittle it down to something abit more reasonable in number and size. I simply don't think I'll have the time NOR the space to build or display those 1/32 Phantoms, Tomcats and Eagles anymore. I've been doing alot of reading on the "Pacific War" I believe I'd like to focus on that area, Which I've neglected up til now. I have plenty of 1/48 German, American and British subjects from the ETO and Med but almost nothing from the PTO. My first step is to sift through the stash for Pacific subjects and If I find nothing that interests me, start trading off the big stuff and the stuff I know I'll never build for PTO subjects.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 years, 1 month ago:

Books, movies, magazines, seeing a model someone has done, the most recent arrival for a review that people want to know about, etc., etc.

I was reading "Death At A Distance: The Loss of the Legendary USS Harder" when the new review kit of the Riich Models fleet submarine arrived. Finding out the Harder had been painted pink during its last two patrols (not hot pink like the movie) made it a natural. A for-real "pink submarine" and an "ace" boat to top it off.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tappie Scholtz said 11 years, 1 month ago:

So many models and so little time. Just as soon as I have figured out what my next project will be, another new release appears on the horizon. While I am waiting for my 1/200 Bismarck I am rebuilding an old 1/200 Yamato for a friend, but am already doing research and planning on the HMS Cornwall, sunk of the Ceylon coast in 1945. in the meantime I have my 1/48 Tomcat and 1/48 Strike Eagle sitting on the bench almost complete. I have a 1/48 Texan lined up as soon as I have done my research and some armour in the pipeline. To me the research is the driving force behind the build, the more I learn about the subject, the more I try to make it as real as possible.