scratch built wooden ammo crate

Started by jeff stewart · 4 · 11 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    jeff stewart said 11 years, 2 months ago:

Here is my attempt at scratching an ammo crate. It still needs some tweeking, which is why I thought I would post it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
    1.Started with 2.5 x 0.5 evergreen strips, and used an ammo box from an old kit for the rough dimensions.

1. Dragging an exacto knife along the stips create rough wood grain and knots then cut the strips to size.
    2. Use a metal file and the exacto to create rough edges and nail holes.
    3. Using double sided tape to hold the small pieces together glue all parts.
    4. Paint with various wood tones and browns ( I used wood, leather and rust)
    5. Wash with a dark brown or black and wipe excess.

The last couple of pictures were taken just to see how it will look with different models. Its only one side of the crate, I didnt want to go through the trouble of building the whole thing just to hate the results. I plan on doing a little "messing around" with a couple more panels untill I'm completely satisfied with the results.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 11 years, 2 months ago:

Jeff, I think your box lid came out great. I am assuming from the dimensions that you are in 1/35th scale. I have made a few 'wooden' items, but since I build in 1/48th scale I use slightly different methods for getting the wood. I will often cut a piece of plastic to this size of the wood I need, and then draw very coarse, 80-120 grit sand paper over it pushing hard. This gives me my grain, then I use a scriber to put in the planking. You did a great job chipping up the edges which I like and you can go back and do that after you scribe your planks in. I too paint with a light tan or brown and then use oils to do the grain followed by a wash. In the end I think yours came out looking pretty damn good! You are most certainly on the right track from what I can see.

• Profile Photo
    jeff stewart said 11 years, 2 months ago:

Thanx Walt, I'm pretty happy with the results. I think next time I will try the sandpaper method to get the wood grain effect. I should also mention that it will probably take one piece of the evergreen strip to make one crate which is pretty cheap considering the alternative ressin or wood after market products.

• Profile Photo
    Tappie Scholtz said 11 years, 1 month ago:

Jeff,
    It looks great and very real. I have to agree with Walt on the chipped edges, never thought of doing it that wat. i usually also use sandpaper to obtain the wood grain, then scribing lines for the individual planks. the painting process is the same with some oil wash for brining out the grain. it works in most scales, and depending on the wood you are simulating, you just change the grit of your sandpaper.