Shoe Polish and Artist's Oils on Wood Kits

Started by Larry J. Allen · 5 · 11 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Larry J. Allen said 11 years, 4 months ago:

I recently got interested in the wood kits of some of Leonardo Da Vinci's ideas for flying machines, and have done the Ornithopter, Catapult and Aerial Screw.

I used Kiwi paste shoe polish on the wood parts of the Aerial Screw, then used a soft wide brush dipped in turpenoid to apply artist oils to the cloth covering of the 'screw'. A good dab of black, brown and yellow oils and brushed on the muslin type cloth can be worked and adjusted pretty easily.

I thought this would be a good place to try the technique before I tried it on a WW I plastic kit.

I am dressing some little plastic employees with paper towel material to operate the machine and have work left to do on them.

I am thinking of some alternative way to attach the cords to the device since I am fairly certain they did not have big brass eyelet type screws in those days.

Fun kits, and a good break from the plastic.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 11 years, 4 months ago:

I know for a fact you don't type words that would be considered profanity. I've also had some innocent words bleeped out by the site's cyber-censor. I think Martin needs to do some "tweaking" on that system/program.

• Profile Photo

I sincerely apologize to any and all who may have been offended by my use of the bleeped term. My mind does not work that way, and I used the same words and spelling as used on the manufacturer's web site, the box the kit came in and the instructions.

If by chance, you do not know what the bleeped term was, synonyms include: revolve, go around, rotate, drive in, tighten, fasten.

Also known as a 'HELICOPTER', the kit represents one of Leonardo Da Vinci's remarkable ideas, and is one of several interesting items available from their website. I plan to order some other items from them.

My apologies for any offense.

• Profile Photo
    Site Administrator said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Larry,

Indeed, there's no need to apologize. That was our bad language filter kicking in in a rather clumsy fashion. I had to remove Leonardo's Aerial Screw from its list of bleep-words.;) I'd like to point out that this filter acts purely automatically based on a built-in dictionary of "bad" words, without editor's intervention. it may take a few more cases like this to fine-tune it so please Craig, Larry and all, let me know if anything strange pops up again.

/m

• Profile Photo

Whew! Thought I had bleeped up again.