Size matters!?

Started by Gregor d · 24 · 9 years ago · scales
  • Profile Photo
    Wes Pennest said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Depends on the subject matter. How much do I love whatever it is that's being modeled? If it's something that really gets my creative juices flowing, I'll find the display space and I'll scrape together my change to make it happen. I don't really build stuff "just to build stuff." So, that 1/72 A400M from Revell? The 1/100 Master Grade MSN-06S Sinanju from Bandai? (a Gundam model, if you're wondering)? The 1/16 SU-100 from Trumpeter? Yes, yes, yes. The only thing I won't build is 1/48 armor, because all of the other armor I have is 1/35 and they'll look out of place.

If it's a model of a vehicle one of my relatives operated / worked on, well, no scale is too big.

• Profile Photo
    Mark Housley said 9 years, 10 months ago:

For me i seem to have fits and starts i tend to build what ever subject matter i am interested in at the time and then see if i have one in the stash because i have like most of you guys been collecting kits for a long time i have quite a lot in the stash and in all scales.

but i must say 1/72 has always been my favourite scale even though my eyes are not to good these days the good thing for me with the Brail Scale is it kinda stops me getting carried away with super detailing theres only so much you can do in the scale before things start to look out of scale so for me it just means i can get the build out of the way and then on with the fun part painting and weathering.

With a 1/48 scale thats when i start to mess around with detailing and usually not long after i kick my self for doing it again and getting myself bogged down with all the extras and add on's when all i really want to do is get it built and then start to enjoy myself with the painting

as far as 1/32 is concerned i Haven't built one in years i have quite a few in my stash but there just for looking at know and again. 😉

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I am in both camps so to speak, 1/72 for convenience but 1/48 for sanity.
    Although saying that I have some bigger scales in the stash.
    Living in a 1 bedroom flat does leave a lot of room for displaying finished kits.
    Also the bench is a bit cramped when building the larger sizes.
    As long as people are happy in what scale they prefer that`s what counts.

Simon.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Quite a few people have said that would like to build the 1/32 kits but don't have the space to display them. Mark said above that he has a couple in his stash but they are just for looking at. I wonder just what percentage of the larger kits that are bought actually get finished and displayed, or, do they just sit there in someone's stash?

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 10 months ago:

That's a good point George! I've got about 4 1/32 aircraft in the stash, and I know when I build them there won't be a lot of display space left. They are single engine WW2 fighters, which are a decent size when complete, so something like a JU88 or He 111 would be great to build but difficult to display for me. I stick to larger aircraft such as the B-17 or Lancaster in 1/72 purely because of the size of them.

• Profile Photo
    bob mack said 9 years, 10 months ago:

everybody seems to be missing that 1/32 is perfect for WW1 models...they are just tiny in 1/48...1/72 is great for heavy bombers and maybe modern jets that's a personal call...sure wouldn't want a mosquito or lightning or any multi engine bigger than 1/48...unless it's your favorite

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 10 months ago:

With my main frame of interest, 1930's - 1970's U.S. aircraft (mostly), subject drives the scale. Bombers, jets from the mid 50' on, and other large aircraft - 1/72 - 1/144. Bi-planes 1/32, everything else in 1/48. Armor 1:35, ships 1/350, and Sci Fi spacecraft what ever scale they say it is.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 9 years, 10 months ago:

As a rule, I build 48th scale that are aviation-related. Of course, there are always exceptions. Most armor for me is 35th. Despite being too "small" and "fiddly" for me at 67, I sometimes build 72nd if the subject is a large aircraft. I would prefer 32nd, but display space would then be an issue. Boats/ships are a whole other animal when it comes to scale. Cars are usually 24th/25th. I don't do figures, though (or sci-fi stuff). Interesting poll.

• Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I entered the hobby when 72nd scale was still the only scale for real modelers, but I started with 48th scale because bigger was better for me at that time. Though I have occasionally built in all the scales, the bulk of my completed projects that have been kept for display through the years continues to be my favorite 48th scale. I admit that with all the focus on 32nd scale in recent years, I have been tempted more than a few times because of the added detail the larger scale allows and the state of the art of kits today. Display space becomes a factor as I find it very hard to recycle my older projects to make room for the latest completion. Though I do not have every model I have built, I do still have a few from 40 plus years ago still in the showcase. I find that having models on display in the same scale, illustrates the differences and progress in aviation design.