Vallejo Paint

Started by AL HOFFMAN · 8 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Need some input from a Vallejo user. I'm trying it for the first time on my D-Day Typhoon 1b & I'm having trouble poor adhesion & it being easily damaged.

I put down a primer coat of Alclad II grey like I always do when using acrylics. First noticed the if I touched the paint with the back of my fingernail it took the color off down to the primer & now as I mask the upper color the it is lifting in small areas. I ran the tape across the palm of my hand four or five times before it touched the model.

Does this paint need to be sealed after every coat?

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I cannot offer you any advice Al, but I thought I would let you know that I also never had any luck with Vallejo acrylics or any other of these newer acrylics that come in those fancy tubes. Poor adhesion and covering. I have seen others get wonderful finishes using this paint line, though. I too, would like to know what the secret is to getting a good finish from this paint.

• Profile Photo
    bob mack said 9 years, 11 months ago:

i think your supposed to use the black cap for airbrushing and the white cap for handbrushing

• Profile Photo

I'm using "Model Air" white cap which is supposed to be pre-thinned for airbrushing.

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I'm using Vallejo paint a lot (about 2 years). I use Tamiya or Mr.Surfacer 500 primers, because Vallejo's primers are more useful as a base colors. Even for Model Air I always use an Airbrush Thinner and Retarder Medium. Then I always apply paint in a very thin layers (3-5) and allow paint to dry up to 2-3 minutes between applying layers. And I try not to touch painted areas as well.

• Profile Photo

I think you answered my question about it being easily damaged when you said you try not to touch it.
    I have both the Vallejo thinner & retarder but stopped using them because they were like gel in the bottle. Is this the way it is supposed to be or do I have stale product?
    I'm looking forward to your Typhoon on the D-Day build because the Airfix version is what I am having the paint trouble on.

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Retarder is a gel, right, and it is used in a very small amounts. And what about thinner - I think that you have a "Thinner Medium", because airbrush thinner is more like water or spirit. Anyway, compared to Gunze or Tamiya paints, Vallejo has the lowest aghesion.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I am not sure Al, but I was told to build the coats of Vallejo lightly and to give it a reasonable cure time.
    I use Alcad Grey Primer and have no real problems with it.