WB Gee Bee Z

  • 39 posts
  • Last reply 4 hours, 8 minutes ago
  • Gee Bee, gee bee z, Williams Brothers
Viewing 1 - 15 of 39 posts
  • Jim Harley said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Since the Laird is just about done I cracked open the Z. I assembled the cockpit pieces and after test fitting the fuselage halves I realized nothing would be visible when the canopy is mounted. I didn’t spend any time detailing or painting this area. I will put seat belts in and paint the headrest but I just couldn’t see any point in going crazy here. The engine and pin stripes will be the most challenging part of this build. The kit is typical Williams Brothers in that it has some slight molding issues around the thicker areas like fillets and wheel spats. These are easily filled, other than that, it goes together quite well. This is a good warm up for the Bulldog. More soon…and I’ll say this now and probably regret it but the Laird will be done tomorrow 🙂

    Jim

    5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Jim Harley said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

    A bit more progress…after sanding the filler and seams I shot some Testors flat white enamel over the filler. A couple flaws really stood out on the wing root trailing edge fillets on both the top and bottom of the wing. It almost looks like the plastic didn’t flow completely in to the mold?? This was easily filled and waiting for the Tamiya white putty to dry. I also cut the ends of the ailerons free from the wing and filled the edges of the aileron pocket. For the small gap between the wing and fuselage I used Vallejo putty and used a damp cotton swab to smooth the putty before it cured. More soon!

    Jim

    6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Jeff Bailey said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Who made that kit, Jim? @jimh

  • Jim Harley said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

    It’s the good ole’ Williams Brothers kit. It’s been in my stash for years…keeping my fingers crossed the decals are still good. The pinstripe is going to be interesting…I’m going to try something and if it turns out I’ll post the process. Fingers are crossed!
    JIm

  • Jim Harley said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

    The easy part is done 🙂 now to get the stripes taped off.

    2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Gary Wiley said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Looking real nice Jim. I’m going to bookmark these pages for when I get the courage to tackle my hangar full of WB racers. 🙂

  • Jim Harley said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Thanks Gary, I was in the same boat but I figured whats the worst that could happen 🙂 Hopefully I’ll give you something to bookmark. They are fun builds if you are in to nostalgia. I have 2 Gee Bees, and a Bulldog to go…and probably another Laird in Thompson colors.

    Jim

  • Craig Abrahamson said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Coming along nicely….gonna be a beauty all right.

  • Louis Gardner said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

    You can sign me up for bookmarking thisbuild too. I have one in the stash. Believe it or not this is my wife’s favorite plane !!!! I have one hanging from the ceiling fan in our living room. When we visited the Fantasy of Flight museum about 7 years ago, my wife had to have her picture taken standing next to Kermit Weeks Gee Bee. I even picked up a set of RC plans for an electric powered Gee Bee. Someday ……..

    Anyhow this is really looking fantastic and I will be looking forward to seeing your next installment.

    These golden era planes draw me in, like a moth to a flame.

  • Josh Patterson said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

    Excellent idea Jim, I know right where you’re going there! I have two Kenworth K100 Aerodynes for my B.J. and the Bear project. Kenworth also painted the gold stripes on the Salem scheme by painting the cab gold and layering over that. Trying the same on my AMT cab, and also my Gee Bee R when it’s in paint. What are you masking the red with? I had thought of thread made tacky with white glue.

  • Jim Harley said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

    Thanks for following! I’m just as anxious to see how this will turn out as well. So far so good…pre painting the red and masking the 1/64″ pin striping is tedious, BUT it works. I’ll get them masked off, and give it a dusting of clear then add color. fingers crossed!

    Jim

    3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Josh Patterson said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

    Great find on the tape! Where’d you get it?

  • Jim Harley said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

    eBay! it was a $1.54…years ago when I was doing a lot of R/C airplane painting this tape was invaluable. I was happy to find it again. There is nothing I’ve found that does compound curves and seals as well. I’m really going to take some time to tape it so it will be couple days before I post results. Fingers crossed!

    Jim

  • Jim Harley said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

    So far so good…this tape really makes the curves manageable…hopefully it will all come together with paint. 3 wings and the wheel pants to go.

    4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

  • Jim Harley said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

    All taped up and the first dusting of yellow applied. so far so good.

    3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

Viewing 1 - 15 of 39 posts