1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk I

Started by Jaime Carreon · 40 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I feel your pain, Jaime. I went "Balls Out" on the O2 bottle on my Spitfire Mk.II adding a shelf an brackets for it. I even put on a data decal. It came out looking wondeful. Once I joined the fuselage halves and added the rear glazing, it pretty much disappeared. The downside of AMS I suppose.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 9 months ago:

You know Seamus, I didn't expend a lot of energy or time on that part, but it just had to be there. Wouldn't have been right without it...

A few more photos before the weekend is over..

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 9 months ago:

You gotta do what you gotta do but like Seamus indicated AMS can be a bad affliction if you let it. Makes me wonder how much more I would have finished over the years if I didn't suffer from it.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Looking good Jamie. My first step on recovery from AMS was "if you can't see it, why paint it".
    Now I'm up to "if you can't see it, don't build it." Well sometimes anyway. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 8 months ago:

It's funny, I passed up on going crazy with the seatbelts, but that O2 bottle had to be there. Go figure. You can just see the bottle if you squint really hard and use a flashlight.

There is a fine line between hobby and insanity...

• Profile Photo

Started assembling all the peripherals today. Main gear and tail wheel are painted and ready to go. Added the lower forward fuselage and got the carb scoop put together. There were a few small gaps that needed to be filled, one at the aft lower wing-fuselage joint and the seam where the forward fuselage piece meets the wing. I'll let that dry overnight before sanding it down. After that, she's ready for paint...

• Profile Photo

The Spit is ready for paint. All the seams have been taken care of and the oil cooler and radiator have been installed. All I need now is the time to do it...

• Profile Photo

Back to work on the Spit. Cleanup and masking, then shot the sky lower surfaces and the dark earth on the uppers. The sky is AeroMaster RLM 84 left over from the Seafire project. The dark earth is a Model Master color lightened with a few drops of white to fade it out a bit. I'll let it cure overnight before masking off and shooting the dark green. All the subassemblies (prop, landing gear, etc) are done and ready to attach once the paint and decals are on. I've decided to do the 610 Squadron markings using the kit decals.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 8 months ago:

A word of warning about the kit decals Jaime. Do not use the white circles that go under the roundels. Things will be to thick and the roundels will not settle down no matter how much solvent you use. Better off using the roundels alone. They are thick enough not to be translucent.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Your paint is looking good Jaime. Another thing about older Tamiya decals, test one you won't need to see if it shatters as soon as it hit's the water. If it does a coat of Microscale Liquid Decal Film painted over the whole sheet will save them. Regardless if they shatter or not, my technique for standard Tamiya decals is to use very hot water, full strength Solvaset, and a hair dryer to "melt" them into the clear coat. One note of caution, you'll want to practice that a few time before you go "live" with it, the hair dryer part can be tricky...ask me how it know.. 😉

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Your paintwork looks great Jaime. I've been using acrylics but thinking about switching back to enamels. You mentioned letting it set overnight before adding the second color. I have not been able to handle enamels that quickly. Roughly what % of reducer to paint are you using & do you shoot just enough to give an even top coat? I think part of my problem is my hi-gloss automotive finish background.
    Thanks.

• Profile Photo

Seamus and Rick - thanks for the info on the decals. The sheet in my kit looks pretty good, and I was going to ask if Solvaset would be too strong for those. Good to know that it's not. I may just go ahead and coat the decal sheet to ward off any potential problems. Don't think I'm going to try the hair dryer thing just yet! I'm guessing a good coat of Future would be a good idea before decalling?

Al, I usually thin my paint 50/50 with laquer thinner, using the Mk. I eyeball method, and shoot at about 15-20 psi. I've been reducing the thinner a bit because due to the heat here because the paint is almost dry before it hits the model. I was able to mask off the underside about an hour after painting so I could shoot the upper dark earth color. That took a little longer to dry because I adjusted the laquer thinner ratio a bit. I use blue Scotch painters tape for my masking and have had no trouble at all with it. After wiping the model down with alcohol (to remove finger oil and mold release) I usually shoot a thin first coat and let it dry for a few minutes before I shoot the final coat. Those little first aid alcohol wipes will work well for the wiping down, though I usually use a soft cloth.

I've never airbrushed acrylics, but a good friend of mine swears he'll disown me if I ever do!

• Profile Photo
    James Robert Feuilherade said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Good job Jaime and the Tamiya MkI is a great kit. To re awaken the O2 bottle monster..! interesting conversation on those oxygen bottles, the pilot one was a single small bottle, but leaving the two large bottles on the LHS of the fuselage is correct as far as I know. The Spitfire used compressed air to operate the landing flaps, the radiator flaps and the all important wheel brakes operated by a bicycle like brake leaver on the unique round joystick handle. That apart from the guns. As far as I know, those two bottles were in all Spits and were normally silver or black. The were the system compressed air tanks and were charged by a small air compressor attached to the LHS (I think) camshaft rear end. The small blister on the top cowling in this area was a small air intake for the compressor. If you look at a Spitfire engine picture you can often see the compressor as it has little cooling fins on it, looks like a tiny motorbike cylinder on the end of the cam cover.

• Profile Photo

Back into the hangar for more paint. Dark green applied, again, a Model Master color lightened with some white. I've been having a little trouble with the regulator on my air compressor, took a few tries to get it going this time.

Spitfire MK I in the experimental Mexican Skunk Works scheme of Scotch Blue and Rio Grande sand:

The result of three hours of masking and three minutes of painting:

On the final stretch now. Paint will cure for a few days while I head off for a weekend trip and then I'll start getting decals on. I'll post finished pictures on the group build reveal day.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Yes sir, now that is starting to look like something. Did the Scotch Blue Tape work well with little or no problems?