1/72 Tamia Spitfire Mk I

Started by Rick Wilkes · 25 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Gregor, now that you mention it I think that he's from a Revell set. Maybe I thought I heard that the figures were originally released by ICM. They are excellent figures, but as you said, they are on the husky side.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 7 months ago:

A Fairey Fruitbat? I thought Wing Cmdr Glasson was flying a Blackburn Belchfire when that happened...

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Looking good Rick , the pilot looks a bit foot loose and free?

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Foot loose indeed, Simon. Didn't you know Kevin Bacon was one of Wing Cmdr Glasson's admirers and learned several of "Ol half arsed peg leg" gyrations...

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 6 months ago:

As predicted by Lady Rose, the airframe assembly was quick and tidy.
    For reasons I haven't yet fathomed 🙂 , I decided to brush paint the camouflage. It's been decades since I last did this, so it could be "interesting". I'm using PollyScale acrylic's over bare plastic.
    Here's the uppers with the Dark Earth applied.

I'll refine the pattern when I apply the Dark Green.

I can't decide if I want to add another coat of Sky on the undersides, or leave it as is as a foundation for the weathering yet to come. Leaving it as is looks the most promising.

I'd sure appreciate some feedback on this, especially from those of you that primarily brush paint.

Here are my propeller options. I have been working on both the brass Prop Blur pieces, and also a clear disk. You can see here all the prep work is done all that's left is the painting

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Her ladyship says thank you, and you are doing a splendid job.
    Don`t know what to call on the prop options,

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Shades of the old days! I used to brush paint Polly S acrylics as a rule during my last go around. There are days I miss it. It sure was a lot easier and the masking didn't take nearly as long!

The clear prop disc looks better to me than the prop blurs. That's a hard effect to duplicate without actually making things spin.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good,Rick, the prop is great, RAF wavy camo is "natural" for a brushed paintwork.
    Will watch that with interest, the last brushed on paintwork, hmmmm...can t remember...

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good Rick. I'm with Jaime on the prop option - the disc looks better. As for brush painting paint consistency is key. If its too thick you'll see lots of brush strokes.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 5 months ago:

I've finally started putting on the decals, and the overcoat of MicroScale Decal Film has prevented them from shattering, however progress is slow as it takes forever for the decal to release from the backing. I have all the stencils applied to the underside, and started on the top today. I managed to get 8 decals on in just under 2 hours.