B of F Academy 1/48th P-36/H75A

Started by AL HOFFMAN · 28 · 9 years ago · Battle of France Group Build
  • Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Just posting this small update to show why I have a hard time getting anything done.

Fuselage shots show shims to allow lower wing roots to match fuselage & resin bulkhead/armor plate:

These shots show work on the wings:
    Ugly stacks in the middle of the wing will support resin cockpit floor. Just glued on one side now. When the other side is glued I will use it to pull the dihedral tighter. Front of wing is being shimmed, again to line up wing root. The channel pieces will accept the brass guns. Spent shell ejection chutes added. The wheel boxes kept popping loose when the wing flexed so the were secured with plastic support & super glue. Doesn't look like it's in the pictures but there is a landing light made from a clear sprue gate in the wing.

More to come.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 6 months ago:

A good base is a start to a great rock solid build, looking good Al !

• Profile Photo
    Bryan W. Bernart said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Good looking beginning, Al. She'll be a sweet build!

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Al, you sure have a lot on your plate with this one. I have a 1/48 P-36 but its by ESCI (I think) I hope it doesn't provide as many complications as this one! Great work there BTW.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Since I didn't get done in time I figured at least an update could be posted.

Additional shimming & filling to get a good wing fit. The lower engine panels were not on the correct plane to mate to the wing so that has been filled with Plastruct & is in the process of being faired in with putty:

One of the rear gear doors got knocked off a couple of days ago & was found today when I tried to roll over it with my chair. I got to looking & realized they were not to scale so here will be a little more work to be done:

Couple of shots of the engine. Quickboost but the builder makes the pushrods out of whatever. These are Plastruc. I'm getting pressure from a certain party to wire it but I'm leaning towards weathering & calling it done:

I've switched to a Ultracast seat which still needs paint. The incorrect ribbing on the windscreen has been removed so I am getting closer to putting it together.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good Al, despite the set backs mate.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Just for the record I am that "certain party" lobbying for Al to add the ignition wires. We "all" know radial engines need the wire harness. Can I get an "amen" on that. You've seen the other work Al's done on this build, and I've seen it in person, and you know it's the right thing to do, so let Al know it to.. 😉
    Happy Halloween.
    Now I will stop causing trouble and get back to try to finish my Stuka before 11:59pm Indiana time

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Great work Al, this will be a stunning kit, your detail work looks very good, it seems that this kit need a lot of work to done right.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Keep going Al your doing great!

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Still working on this. It's just about ready to have the cockpit shoved up in it & get ready for some painting:

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Looking good, yet I feel there's something missing. Muwahaha :-}

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Well done so far Al, love the engine, you should add some more minimal details before painting 😉

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 4 months ago:

Al, good on ya for keeping going with your Hawk. It all looks good to me 🙂