BoB Airfix Stuka

Started by Rick Wilkes · 98 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I've started repairing the panel lines that I sanded off the fuselage. I'm using .010"/0.3mm rod from Plastruct rather than stretched sprue to keep a consistent look to the repairs.

I run a length of rod from one side to the other using what's left of the panel line as a guide, with tape to hold it tight. Once in place I wick liquid cement along the rod, let it set for a minute or two, then trim off the excess. If there is one close, I'll run the rod to joint in the panel line, but usually I just blend it into the rest of the panel line with a few swipes of sand paper.

This is the belly partially completed. Still need to do the area between the wings.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Great work Rick. Its nice to see someone reinstating raised detail as opposed to rescribing for a change. Looks like there's a few glaring sink holes to fill there too! Keep it going...

• Profile Photo

I've replaced the lost panel lines, well at least all I'm going to replace anyway. 🙂
    I'll knock them down with sandpaper before I replace the rivets.
    I'm trying a new brand of rivet decals that look like they have the pattern I need.
    More about them in the next update.

• Profile Photo

Good going Rick, keep up the good work!

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Looking great Rick,
    Keep on going mate, and the Whiskey can be sipped later.
    LOL

• Profile Photo

Hi Simon, as much as I would love a a couple of fingers of good Canadian Whiskey (with a little ice and water as god intended), my Wife, my Doctor & my Meds would probably be very unhappy with me. I think would be quite happy, a little bit ain't t going to kill me, right? 🙂
    Don't worry Seamus, reason prevails,for now anyway, so all I get is the ice and water. 🙁

As an aside, I should have my new rivets today, so maybe a picture of the test run tonight.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Rick, if your rivets are the ones made by Archer, then you have choose well. I have used them on both armor and aircraft models and the work like a charm.

• Profile Photo

Howdy Seamus. I used Archer's rivets on my Wildcat V for the D-Day GB, and as you say, they are excellent and easy to apply.

Me, being me though, saw a different brand rivet decals on UMM-USA's web site, and one of the sheets has very tight lines of double row rivets. Since that style is perfect for the Stuka, I'm going to try them out. The application seems more involved, but it appears that once the process is complete there is no carrier film left behind on the model.

And as Al will attest, when confronted with a new tool or other such stuff, I have been know to be a easy sell. (A "Tool Who&e, but I'm not sure Martin would approve the language)

Here's hoping my Arkansas education is up to the task. 😉

R

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 9 months ago:

UMM-USA is my absolute favorite go to for tools, paint masks, and other detail items. Great prices and fast service. Goes to shoe that great minds think alike.

• Profile Photo

I always spend to much money at his vendor table, all those wonderful toys...lol

• Profile Photo

As you know I've been working on replacing panel lines, etc getting ready to test out my new UMM decal rivets. I decided to test them on the Stuka, figuring that if I get it right I'm points ahead. So following the directions to the letter, I sprayed on Mr. Surfacer 1000 as a base. So far so good, except;

My replacement panel lines where horrid. The width seemed okay but they were mountainous. I hate it when I outsmart myself.

Anyway, bordered the offending panel lines with tape and sanded down to it, cleaned up and touched up the Mr. Surfacer.

Now back to the UMM rivets. For "free form" use like I'm doing, maybe a bit to finicky. More time consuming than the Archer rivets, because you really do need to leave them alone for 2-3 hours before taking the backing off. So here's what they look like.

They are very fine, and if I was using them on a model without any rivet detail, I think the effect could be stunning. However, again, I'm trying to get a fair match to kit rivets and the UMM rivets are so much "in scale" that they just won't do. You can see in the lower right corner the Archer rivets I've already started laying down.

This is a broader view of the replacement rivets and the reduced panel lines.

Once again "accuracy" dies on the spear of expediency. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Looks good to me Rick. Great job on the revised panel lines.

• Profile Photo

All the panel line and rivet replacement, that I'm going to do anyway, is complete. Here's what it looks like in its raw state. Never let it be said I had a light touch with sandpaper or could draw a straight line. 🙂

I did end up using some of the UMM rivets to replace the very fine rivets on the chin intake.
    the panel lines are stretched sprue.

Now I gots to be doing some more of that assembling and painting stuff.
    R

• Profile Photo

I'm liking what I see there Rick, nice work. Are you going to open up the canopy on this one?

• Profile Photo

Gregor, you're killing me man...lol. Truthfully I have been trying to decide that myself. So since I can't make the decision, I'll leave it up to you all. Gregor counts as one vote for an open canopy. How say you all? 🙂