BoB Airfix Stuka

Started by Rick Wilkes · 98 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Good luck ! Masking is not my strongest point, as well vacu formed canopies !
    Happy modelling Rick 🙂

Bernd

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Since I was the co-author of the color charts that Bernd referred to...
    This is approximately how the camouflage of 70/71 over 65 should look like:

http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=34052+34083+35526&size=l&bkgr=0
    (The RLM70 is the darker of the greens)

Judging from your photos, I think that the colors may not have been reversed, but the relative contrast between them is looks very much too low. I'd be adding black to your propeller color to increase the contrast, but not reversing them - the 70 had a bluish tone to it and the 71 was more like any military drab color.

Other examples:

/Martin

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 9 years, 8 months ago:

..ad let me also commend you for the great work on panel lines and rivets. Resorting raised surface detail is so much more difficult than the recessed one!

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks Martin, the color chips you provided confirm I had my labels reversed on the paint.
    At least I only have 6 parts to repaint.

• Profile Photo

The RLM 70/71 scheme is a good one for me, got a blind spot for some green/brown shades 🙁

• Profile Photo

Had a productive Saturday. Got the masking done in the afternoon.

After dinner I airbrushed the camouflage using White Ensign enamel RLM 71 Dark Green with just a little Mr. Color Leveling Thinner. It went down very nicely with a smooth semi gloss finish. I took the masking tape off not long after I painted, I don't like to leave it on very long.

This the side view again after I adjusted the image to make the Dark green stand out so that you can see the pattern.

I'll let this dry for a week or so, may even put it in my food dehydrator to cook for a while.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Hey Rick, she is coming along nicely, don`t cook it to long otherwise she may go a bit tough.
    LOL.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Don't you mean food processor?

• Profile Photo

On sober reflection I've got a big enough mess in the work shop without trying to squeeze the "oven" in some where. Provided I could find all of it in the first place...lol

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Rick! I'm not the most active forum member around here, something that I deeply regret when I found this thread, and then it's not even my scale 🙂 !

I remember the kit from when I was a kid in the 1980s but I only ever saw the box, not the contents of it. It was one of those kits that I longed to build but the only Airfix 1/48 I ever did was the 109F.

Your'e doing magic with this model, very entertaining magic!

Best regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo

Very nice Rick ! Your camo is really looking sharp with these perfect masking job !

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Looks great Rick, keep up the good work 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thank you all for the comments and encouragement, it really keeps me motivated. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Ralph Clements said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Rick, I finally got around to checking out what you are doing with your Stuka and must say I am very impressed by your attention to detail, skillful work on the most tedious things, patience and above all, your results. I didn't even know anyone could do some of the stuff you've done.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks Ralph, I've just been fortunate to have some friends that are excellent modeler's and gotten a lot of encouragment from them and folks here on iModeler. I don't generally put this much effort into my builds anymore but I'm enjoying this one and hopefully I can finish as strong as I started. However to quote some little known English playwright "Aye, there's the rub" 😉