BoF/BoB Group Build Part 1- Ain’t In No Hurri.

Started by Seamus Boughe · 7 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Tally Ho, Lads,
    Not long after finishing my Spitfire Mk.IIa, I got the itch to build her sister in arms, the Hawker Hurricane. I have several Hawker Hurricanes from several manufacturers in my stash, but most of those are in 1/48. Having been bitten by the 1/32 bug, I decided to give another large scale build a go.

My choices were the metal wing Hurricane Mk.I (late) by Pacific Coast Models or the 1969 vintage Revell Hawker Hurricane Mk.I. Naturally, I choose the Revell kit. Now you might be saying to yourself "Why in the name of Jupiter's beach umbrella did Seamus choose the Revell kit"? Well, I figured anyone with reasonable scale modeling skills could squeeze a nice build out of the PCM kit, but it takes a really sick maniac to squeeze a decent Hurricane out of the Revell kit. I am that sick maniac, so here we go.

I have given the Revell kit the once over twice. Definitely a new cockpit needed. Not a problem. I have the old and OOP Model Design Construction Hawker Hurricane cockpit for this kit. Bought it at a model show for $10.00 even though I did not have the Revell kit at the time of purchase. Hey, I cannot pass up a bargain!

The landing gear bay is not only inaccurate, it is atrocious. Looks like a bit of scratch building is necessary in order to get this offending area sorted out. The prop and exhausts in this kit are just terrible, but I have some leftover props, spinners, and exhausts left over from my Revellegawa Spitfire build that will fill the bill nicely. Other than the aforementioned, some scribing and sanding will come into play, but it is nothing I cannot handle. Thankfully, I have some excellent reference books.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Good luck with your Hurricane Seamus, I got this kit in my stash - one of the Revell Classic range that came out a couple of years back. I know your gonna have fun with this one πŸ™‚ Given the amount of work required I hope you can get it finished by October. I'll look forward to your in progress posts...

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Looking forward to watching this puppy taking shape,dare I say it I prefer the Hurricane to the Spit' but that's just me.
    Cheers Mate N.
    P.S Will get my thread sorted soon.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I'm with Neil on the Hurricane vs Spitfire issue, although the Spitfire is probably graceful, I think the Hurricane looks more purposeful, more of a fighting machine. So, I'm looking forward to seeing this one, and, hopefully, some more examples in this group build.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Look forward to watching you overcome the challenges this kit offers.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Hurricane vs Spitfire issue? Lads, there is no issue at all, at least not from my perspective. Everyone has their favorite aircraft, I suppose, and I am no exception. I love me some Spitfires! I guess I could have done a Spitfire for this group build, just having received the new Revell of Germany 1/32 Spitfire Mk.IIa and converting it back to a Mk.I. But nah! The Spitfire gets a lot of credit for achieving victory during the Battle of Britain, but anyone with half a brain knows this was not the case. There were more Hurricanes available at that time than Spitfires and the Hurricanes were the kites that took care of the bombers so, in reality, it is the Hurricane that claims victory. Just because I love Spitfires does not mean I snub my nose at Hurricanes. It may not be my favorite crate, but I still think Hurricanes are cool and, like the Spitfire, I prefer the earlier marques to the later.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I like both, but I can't see a Spitfire going after tanks like some of the cannon armed Hurricanes did.

Seamus, I have to disagree with you on the earlier Spitfires - there's something about stuffing that Griffon engine in that just makes a more agressive airplane out of a Spit. The early marks are beautiful airplanes, but it's the later ones that look like fighters!

Will be following your build!