BoF/BoB Group Build Part 12- Rock You Like A Hurricane.

Started by Seamus Boughe · 11 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 7 years, 10 months ago:

For a kit that is some 45+ years old and could be had on E-Bay or at a show vendor for about $15.00-$20.00, she cleans up real good (with a bit of work, of course). My "Hurrie" is now painted, decaled, and weathered. Most of what you see here is paint. Roundels, Codes, serial numbers, fin flash, walkways, and gun tape are all painted on using aftermarket & homemade masks. The only decals I used are the wonderful Hurricane data stencils by Aviaeology (highly recommended). I kept the weathering to a minimum as I wanted to show an aircraft that is just showing signs of wear. I have some odds, ends, and fiddlybits to do on this build before I can call it done. Next time you see her, she will be in the headlines.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 10 months ago:

What a gorgeous, GORGEOUS build Seamus! She is spot on from nose to tail! Excellent work, and I can't wait to see her inn the headlines. Fantastic.

• Profile Photo
    Bryan W. Bernart said 7 years, 10 months ago:

Outstanding.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years, 10 months ago:

Lovely Seamus, you've done a day's work on this one, ol' son. Was a pleasure and an education following you on this journey.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 7 years, 10 months ago:

Pretty hot. You flogged that old biscuit right sharp. Love that interior. Paint is gorgeous BUT if you take a regular old #2 pencil eraser to those tape lines on the camo you can get rid of those masking tape ridges real quick. Wasn't positioning the big squadron code stencils fun? Did you make those?

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 7 years, 10 months ago:

Seamus,you've captured the heart, soul and character of the Hurricane. Some strong work that is deserving of "Model of the Month". A Goldilocks build if I ever saw one You have my vote.

Two thumbs up.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 7 years, 10 months ago:

Absolutely beautiful, Seamus.

And yes, my oxygen cylinder is turned on...

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 10 months ago:

Seamus, marvelous finish. The stencils are nicely done, and add lots to the build. Good to see an older kit get the full blown treatment, and beautifully so. What Stephen said! Well done!

• Profile Photo

Glad you are all enjoying the Hurricane. Squadron code stencils are from Montex and were very easy to position.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 10 months ago:

Just exquisite! Love the rivet staining in the bolts behind the headrest, and the fluid staining underneath. What did you use to secure that effect on the underside?

The stencils look great also - you are right about them - good choice!

• Profile Photo

Greg, the fluid staining was made from Grumbacher Oil Painting Medium #1 and a bit of the appropriately colored oil paint. Everything is secured/sealed with my ever dwindling supply of Floquil flat clear which, when dry, give a realistically satin sheen that looks like painted metal.