BoF/BoB Group Build Part 3b – All’s Well That’s Wheel Well.

Started by Seamus Boughe · 15 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Okay lads, it is not 100% accurate or spot on in measurement, but my scratch built Hawker Hurricane wheel bay looks reasonable enough and is far better than the original molded on wheel bay. Hey, it does not have to be 100% accurate, not from what you will see of it once I put my "Hurri" on its base. The best part is, I only used about $3.69 in materials which is better than spending $30.00 on a resin aftermarket wheel bay that requires a fair bit of surgery to install correctly. Once again, what would you see of it. I hope all the parts that I showed in my last installment make much more sense now that they are in situ.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Beautiful craftsmanship Seamus, really well done.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Good on yer, mate! Looking good...

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Pretty impressive to say the least. What did you use for the bolt heads & washers?

• Profile Photo

Al, I used Verlinden's "Nuts and Washers" set # 2496. A real value as you get a lot of different nuts and washers that have one hundred and one uses for scale modeling.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Stunning! I really enjoy seeing your wip posts Seamus. Inspiring stuff, and I'm looking forward to the next instalment.

• Profile Photo
    Charles Whall said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Remarkable detailing Seamus, inspiring indeed! Is this the Revell 1:32 kit?

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Seamus, what can I say mate.
    Excellent workmanship as normal.
    Looking forward to more.

• Profile Photo

Just to clarify, yes indeed, it is the old and now defunct, 1/32 Revell Hawker Hurricane Mk.I with the eight gun wing. It has a few flaws, but nothing that can prevent the modeler from building a fantastic kit.

• Profile Photo
    Mark Housley said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Jeez Seamus, your really going for it there mate, looking pretty darn good to me

• Profile Photo
    Nikola Pentić said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Uff, this is some serious scratchbuilding right there. I'll be watching this closely.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 9 years, 9 months ago:

That's a beautiful effort and some nice use of plasticard there.
    Hopefully the wheel well (and cokcpit?) is the only area needing such excessive treatment?

• Profile Photo

In all honesty lads, what you see is not as serious, difficult, excessive, or as impressive as you may think. Basically, all I am doing is boxing in a wheel bay, a fundamental modeling skill, then just adding detail to the box. If one can measure and cut, one can build a wheel bay, or just about anything that needs building. Of course, a little imagination and forethought is also very helpful.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Beautiful work, Seamus, can't wait to see the finished product.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Wonderful work. In the world of aftermarket super sets and wunderkits, it is great to see such good scratchbuilding, me thinks we often stray from the joys of modeling when resin and PE set the standard of our work!
    Again very nice work!