BoF/BoB Group Build Part 7- Things Get Exhausting.

Started by Seamus Boughe · 11 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 3 months ago:

My last post for this project was some three plus months ago. Because of obligations at work and in and around the home, plus the holidays and all their madness, my Hurricane languished untouched for quite some time. Now that things have gotten back to a relative normality, I have gotten back to the workbench and my 1/32 Revell Hurricane.

I really love these old Revell kits. Despite their soft and often inaccurate details, they are usually pretty "spot on" in terms of measurement and outline. Sometimes, though, I come across a part that makes me think WTF and wonder what the engineers were looking at. In this case, that part was the exhausts. As I said, I have no idea what the engineers of this kit were looking at, but it was nothing that ever passed gas from an RAF fighter.

The spare parts bin provided a set of early exhausts (courtesy of Hasegawa) that would definitely do the trick. Although I had no intention of displaying the kit engine, I do need it to mount the exhausts and propeller. Of course, some minor surgery was needed. Not only to mount the new exhausts but to correct an engineering glitch that makes the engine sit too high in the fuselage, thus making it impossible for the upper cowl/hood/bonnet to sit flush, A little slicing and dicing and "Voila", I am back in business.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 9 years, 3 months ago:

"...nothing that ever passed gas from an RAF fighter..." - I like it! Was wondering where you got to, Seamus...looking forward to more WIP pics. Hang in there! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Coming on nicely Pal,can't wait to see this one finished,do you have an ETA ?
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 3 months ago:

A Hurricane in any Mk is always a winner with me. Looking forward to your renewed progress.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Looks great so far Seamus, time for modelling is sparse and i hope we see some more of your build in the future.
    Old Revell kits in 1/32 are quite nice, still have a P-38 and a P-40. The latter one has a real nice surface but a non existence wheel bay. Need a lot of TLC.
    If there is someone out there, who is about to trash a Revell Hawker Typhoon, please call me

• Profile Photo
    James Robert Feuilherade said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Interesting work on the exhausts Saemus. Pass gas! Surely a Merlin at full cry is a bit more of an exotic sound! I've always liked the old Revell Hurricane, I think it's overall shape as you did say, looks good, with a bit of work I think it will be quite presentable in this modern age of "Tamigawa" quality products.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Well Seamus she is coming along nicely.
    I too sometimes wonder who designed some of the kits.
    Looking forward to seeing more mate.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 3 months ago:

I had wondered where you got to Seamus. Glad to hear it was nothing health related. My only reason for not getting my H-75 done has been ADD.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Looks good Seamus. Nice to seeing this Hurri under way again.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Neatly done, Seamus, and a well thought out solution.

• Profile Photo
    Robin Brown said 9 years, 3 months ago:

Definitely a major improvement...looking forward to the next episode.