BoF/BoB Group Build Part 8- The Scribing's Of Doctor Dzus

Started by Seamus Boughe · 13 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Anyone who knows and/or models RAF aircraft of WWII knows one of the things that gives those kites character is the Dzus fastener. Look at any Spitfire, Hurricane, Typhoon, etc,and you will find they are covered in Dzus fasteners. However on most kits of RAF aircraft, the Dzus fastener is not there or it is way overdone such as is the case with the PCM Hurricane and the new Revell Spitfire Mk.IIa kits where the Dzus fasteners look like calamaris.

On my last project, the Revellegawa 1/32 Spitfire Mk.II, the Dzus fasteners were not represented at all so I had to engrave them myself, all sixty-six of them. Now,while this old Revell Hurricane does actually represent the Dzus fasteners on the fuselage, they are, unfortunately, raised and would disappear in the sanding that follows scribing. So out with the Swiss beading tool, a sewing needle, and a small drill bit and begin the process of engraving Dzus fasteners once again. Only this time, I had to engrave seventy-eight. Between the Spitfire and my current Hurricane project, that is one-hundred and forty-four Dzus fasteners I have engraved so far. I deserve a PhD on the subject so call me Dr. Dzus (with apologies to Theodor Seuss Geisel).

With the Dzus fasteners completed, I began and completed the scribing using the raised panel lines on the kit. These are pretty much accurate with the exception that there are some missing lines, but as I am not the "Rivet Counter" type, I figure I will let them go. I doubt anyone will notice anyway and, if they do, so f**king what?

This is my second attempt at scribing/rescribing a kit. It really is not all that difficult but,it is extremely tedious. The toughest part was sanding off all the raised detail. I guess back in 1969 when this kit was first produced, plastic models were considered toys that would be played with once they were assembled so they were made out of some heavy duty plastic. Nothing I had in the way of sanding tools could scrub away all that raised detail. I had to go to my local Home Depot and get some heavy grit sanding sponges. They did the job,
    but I still had to use a lot of elbow grease. Now I can start the painting process.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Hats off to you my friend that looks like real labour of love, I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Amazing work there Seamus. Looking forward to the next installment.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Glad to see you have still got your sense of humour Seamus.
    She is coming along quite nicely mate.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Hey Simes it is coming along but Seamus is in no Hurri ...Geddit Hurri eh Hurri,never mind.
    N 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Ha HA funny Neil.

• Profile Photo

He who would pun would pick a pocket, Neil. Another night at the pubs mate?

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Great work on the scribing, an I'm gald to see that you're keeping on with the build. Gives me motivation to finish my own Dewoitine...

• Profile Photo

I aim to inspire Martin!

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 9 years, 2 months ago:

You've done a lot of work Seamus. Good job!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 9 years, 2 months ago:

God bless the work!
    Definate improvement, tedious doesn't begin to describe it.
    I envy your patience and attention to detail, I'll stick to 1/48th, thank you very much.
    Go have a Jamesons, you've earned it.

• Profile Photo

My problem is I go have a Jamesons (and a pint of the "Bishop") whether I have earned it or not.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Seamus, it just keeps getting better and better, well done