RAF Control Tower Diorama

Started by Gregor d · 56 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Hi Bernd. Thanks for the kind remarks. Yes this is my second dio attempt. I've finished putting down the grass on the base now and i'm sorting through figures to add to the dio next. These are mostly from the Airfix RAF personell set. I've also to finish the tractor which goes with the Bofors gun.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Dioramas are a challenge,i guess yours will be very nice. The Bofors looks very good from here.
    Keep up the good work, Gregor 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 6 months ago:

I think there's a fine line between assembling a kit on one hand and on the other using the kit as a starting point for something more imaginative and, arguably, more detailed.

While much of the interior is out of view, and other choices might have been available in respect of modular display, that is, a removable roof or wall section, you clearly have applied a good deal of thought to presenting the building far in excess of the original offering.

Thinking about the modular concept, to completely remove a section of the roof or to have a cutaway of a wall to expose internal detail, would be a straightforward solution, here or with another project.

My view is always to look beyond what the manufacturer intended and see where it takes me.

Don't beat yourself up; this is an imaginative display.

• Profile Photo

Well folks, i'm sorry to say i've missed the boat in terms of the deadline. I'm currently finishing the "fiddly" bits: figure painting mostly, and have found out that the gun elevation handels on the bofors prevent the gun crew from fitting straight into their seats, grrrrr, doh! etc. Still to do is more milliput sandbags for the gun emplacement; railings for the rest of the safety posts round the perimeter of the tower; Tower ID plates; pole for the homing beacon, and a few touch ups on the paint. There is also a starter trolly/unit to be painted and added. Hopefully I can get more done over the weekend if the wife doesn't get me involved in DIY! In the meantime here are a few progress shots.

Rob - thanks for the encouragement, i'm getting there 🙂

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking great George ! The "guys" are waiting for a squadron of huns coming low in ?
    Well done mate, whats DIY ?

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 6 months ago:

This will be worth the wait. Wish I was this far along on my contribution.

• Profile Photo

Al & Bernd thanks for your support! Bernd DIY is do it yourself - for example decorating the house.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Definitely looking great Gregor, can't wait to see the finished diorama. You've really done outstanding work with that old set.

• Profile Photo

Cheers Rick, hows the Hurricane, Stuka & Spitfire coming along?

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Hello Gregor, I'm tacking the last bits on to the Hurricane and Stuka. The Spitfire won't be finished, I've had a pretty steep learning curve on the "spinning" prop and haven't gotten either technique, clear disk or brass parts, worked out to my satisfaction. Getting close though...lol

• Profile Photo

R I A O = retreat is an option ! 🙂

All the Best
    Bernd