D-Day Build - 1/72nd Airfix Typhoon 1B

Started by AL HOFFMAN · 24 · 9 years ago · Airfix 1/72 Typhoon 1B
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I see what you mean about the color contrast of the topside colors between your and Dmitry's builds. There could be other reasons than the paint, eg lighting, his is gloss, yours not, etc.. I won't even venture a guess. Hope you can get it finished with out launching it into a wall.

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I think, that it's a paint. Vallejo colors getting darker as it dries, and I always add white color (I also do this with Gunze colors too). What paint numbers you've used for the upper camouflage colors?

About adhesion - I've got it (with Vallejo) only with my 5th or 7th model painted with this paints. Before that I got the same results - after masking I usually got paint on the tape, not on the model. It's not a bad paint at the end, but it requires more attention to dilution, priming and applying. Gunze or Humbrol enamels are much easier to apply.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I used the colors that came in their Model Air RAF Dayfighter Set: topside; 71.048 Dark sea grey & 71.016 U.S. Dark green, bottom side; 71.047 U.S. Grey. I added some to lighten the centers of the panels.

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Interesting. Gunze colors I've used are H335, H330 and H331 and model paint conversion chart gives no equivalence values for Vallejo.

• Profile Photo

This thing has really started fighting me every inch of the way. The yellow on the wing's leading edge needs painted & then I think it is ready for decals. I believe I have spent more time touching up lifted paint than actually spraying. It is gloss coated with Future right now to help prevent paint lift & damage. I am hoping when it gets the final dull coat the colors will lighten.

I've run into an issue that I am going to need to cheat on. I've laid out the camo & stripes for MN317 which I have since realized had a 3-blade prop ( the kit has a 4-blade) so I'm going to use the one from the Academy kit. It actually mates up to the Airfix nose fairly well. Just need to bevel the base plate a little more, however after looking at this prop the blades resemble a paddle so the blade width is going to need thinning.

Still shooting for a D-Day completion.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 11 months ago:

As dark as those colors came out I wonder if they are "full strength" and just to saturated for 1/72. Looks like, in hindsight, they needed to be lightened about 20% or so. Have to admire Al's attitude to continue on with this build using the Vallejo paint. I would have striped it and pulled out my trusty Polly Scale by now.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Al ,this is starting to look really good, looking forward to seeing it on Friday.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Great work Al. Sorry to hear about your painting woes 🙁 . The underside colour looks a bit dark but maybe its just the pictures? Great invasion stripes.

• Profile Photo

The darkness of the colors is part of my frustration with Vallejo paints. I used the colors in their RAF day fighter set & they all appear to be too dark. Probably should have lightened them as Rick mentioned earlier but I'm too far into the project to go backwards. In my opinion even allowing for 1/72nd scale you should not need to lighten them as much as you would need to.