D-Day Group Build Revell 1/72 ”S” Boat

Started by Joe Caputo · 11 · 10 years ago · WIP
  • Profile Photo
    Joe Caputo said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Two different sources report: On the morning of 6 June 1944, D-Day, 31 battle ready S-boats were sent to attack the Allied fleet. Although several vessels were sunk, against such a mass of ships (4126 landing craft and 1213 warships) the Kriegsmarine could do little to hinder the embarkement. . The 9th Flottilla achieved some success in sinking landing craft.

And: The only naval contact during D-Day occurred when four German torpedo boats reached the Eastern Task Force late in the afternoon and launched eighteen torpedoes, sinking the Norwegian destroyer HNoMS Svenner off Sword beach but missing the battleships HMS Warspite and Ramillies. After firing, the German vessels turned away and fled east into a smoke screen.

This is my WIP so far. It seems a nice kit, but I think the real enjoyment lies in the weathering. Schnellbootweiss is it's own color. I'm planning on toning it down to where I want it. We'll see how it goes, but first, the construction.

25 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Steven Davis said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Great start, love the German S boats. Very deadly looking boat, nice to see a ship in the mix since it is the "landing".

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Brilliant choice there Joe,I was hoping someone would do something like this,can't wait to see it coming together.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Good subject Joe. I've got this kit in the stash so i'll be interested to see it build up.

• Profile Photo
    Erich Goldbach said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Joe,
    Really cool subject. Those S-boats look fast and deadly sitting still!. Looking forward to future posts...

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years ago:

Hey Joe how's the S Boat coming on, looking forward to seeing that one for sure.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 10 years ago:

Looks like it's going together cleanly so far Joe.

• Profile Photo
    Joe Caputo said 10 years ago:

Neil, Work has been resumed, but it's slow going. Lots of fiddly bits, trimming and painting. Following the instructions, I'll be moving from bow to stern, trying to "weather" as I go to reduce the handling with all the small parts. So far, so good... Thanks for asking

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 10 years ago:

Looking good, Joe! Hope I get to see it soon.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years ago:

Nice work - keep it going Joe.

• Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 10 years ago:

This is a good looking S Boat you got going there. I can't wait to see it when you start the weathering process. You're off to a great start.