D Day,1/48th,Hasegawa P-47D, Capt Donovan Smith, 61st FS,56th FG

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 35 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Well even without the images you made it interesting, well done Chuck ,looking forward to seeing it finished.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks Neil, tough to spin a yarn without images. A little color commentary can always fill the imagination.

Chuck

• Profile Photo

The new PC arrived yesterday, it has been set up and is working fine. Was able to retrieve the images on my memory card from the WIP. So those I will upload this evening when I get home from work and after working the garden a bit. Also able to access I-modeler again on the new PC, Yay!...anyway an update tonight. And also work on the decal process.

Chuck

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Hope to see your finished piece on Friday...
    N.

• Profile Photo

Ok let me post some images of the WIP. I was able to recover the images from my damaged SD card from my Fuji camera. As I had stated before the airframe is pretty much assembled, seams cleaned up. Some minor alignment issue on the wing assy to the fuselage which was expected. First image is the installation of the cowl ring which has also been painted Polly Scale Neutral Grey. A view of the wing roots seam and top of the fuselage as sort of a rough draft before the seams are cleaned smoothed out to remove the deeper scratches with 400 and then 600 wet/dry sandpaper. Next is to install the engine firewall/rear engine piece to the cowl ring. Then soon after the ft engine face and ignitors.

The crankcase is installed painted Glossy Medium Grey. Little bit of oil leakage added around the crankcase before the cowl itself is installed. Cowl fit was a little tight but a quick wiggle and a snap and it was on. Now before installing the windscreen and bubble I need to paint the anti-glare black and Interior Green on the rear deck under the canopy. So thats it for now. More to follow, just 3 days left, these images were taken a couple of weeks ago, I am actually further ahead in the progress, I am decaling the P-47, just finished up the lower portion of the process. Thank God it is not an F-4 or F-15 with all those stencils! Just behind in posting some images.

Chuck

Fly Navy

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Looking good Chuck. Can't wait to see the finished model on Friday 🙂

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Looks like this is going to be a good one Chuck.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Gregor it may still be in the glossy stage on the 6th. Down to the nitty gritty,. as we wind up this GB. Thanks Al, after the fact in getting this kit, I read the reviews that the Hase offering has shape issues on the lower portion of the fuselage, which frankly don't care as the kit builds quite easily. I will compare it with the Monogram P-47 though an old mold is accurate shape wise. And of course the Tamiya kit is the ultimate P-47, which I don't have any yet. Anyway more images tonite.

Chuck

• Profile Photo

The next set of images is prior to installing the canopy, 1st to install the brace which also serves as part of the mechanism that allow the canopy to open along the rail mounted on the rear deck. Once that is done, I install the canopy and then mask to paint the Interior Green framing before the exterior colors will overpaint the green. After masking the canopy I just preshaded the cowl area only as to show this to be quite fresh and some mild weathering will be applied on this when finished. The fuel cap is added to the completed fuel tank. MM Acrylic Interior Green is applied with the airbrush. Tissue is stuffed into the cowl so to prevent overspray. Time to airbrush the Red cowl and tail rudder. Using Polly Scale RLM Red, (didn't use Insignia Red as it seemed to be a little to orangish in shade) besides it matched the Red on the decal sheet for the step stencil that will be applied on the wing roots, I airbrushed the cowl and tail. And let it sit overnight as next it was to apply the White portion of the invasion stripes on the undersurfaces. This is the sequence I was not able to document with images. Airbrushed Polly Scale RLM White, masked and then airbrushed Alclad White Aluminum for the lower surfaces and then the canopy. The next set of images will show the aiframe painted and ready for decals. This set for tomorrow. So until then thanks for viewing.

Chuck

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Oh, man this is looking soooo good, well done Chuck.

• Profile Photo

Some Images posted, details later.

Chuck

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Looking good Chuck, further than my one has progressed.
    Simon.

• Profile Photo

Great work on the camo, i look forward to seeing it completed Chuck.

• Profile Photo

I used Alclad White Aluminum for the NMF. Polly Scale White for the invasion stripes while using Vallejo Flat Black for the black stripes. Masked off the Red, and invasion stripes. Applied the Lt Ocean Grey, but used Gunze Lt Med Grey as that color instead, Then using Aeromaster Ocean Grey with 5 drops of Lifecolor 36111 Gun Ship grey to create the Dark Ocean Grey for the 2nd color of the camo scheme. It looks pretty close and gives the bluish hue that I wanted to get for the 2 colors. Let is sit for a day and then airbrushed future for the gloss coat to start the decal process. More to follow. Happy D-Day.

Chuck
    Fly Navy

• Profile Photo

Thanks Simon, but at one point you were ahead of me young man. 🙂

Chuck