My D-Day group project.

Started by Josh Patterson · 3 · 10 years ago · C-47, Dakota, Skytrain
  • Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 10 years ago:

Well, now that it's almost May, it's probably time I start on my group build project! I wanted to do a Skytrain, but they were out of production...Until now! Monogram has re-released the kit and I happened upon it at the local HobbyTown! So instead of a Havoc, I get to build what I really wanted to!

The kit is stamped from 1978 and is typical Monogram from the period, which means it has tons of awesome interior detail (YES!), raised panel lines (don't care) and will build up into a nice replica of the real thing!

I've included a few sprue shots for those who have never seen the kit before. (I hadn't until yesterday!) The cargo doors are molded shut and instructions are provided on the two options for open doors. I will probably do that after it's painted so I can use the door as a mask and paint it at the same time. There are twelve figures included. Three ground personnel (which look like the same three in other Monogram kits, drop in molds maybe?) and nine paratroopers. I may not get them done in time, but I will have fun painting them all!

The decals are for two aircraft. Actually four, as you can build them as used in WWII, or with a few extra decals, as they fly today as warbirds! (Maybe not flying today as one set is for the "Confederate Air Force" instead of the PC induced "Commemerative Air Force.) I thought that was a nice touch! All invasion stripes are provided, but these will probably look better if painted on the model. Another nice touch is a solid white section to double up the stars 'n bars that go over the invasion stripes to reduce or eliminate the "see through" effect of the white!

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years ago:

You only just started ! Josh your gonna be a busy boy I'm nearly done ,but I do tend tend to finish first...nuff said.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 10 years ago:

I have a feeling this'll go together rather quickly. There aren't any major problems in the kit. The worst being the trailing edge wing to fuselage joint and the upper wing to fuselage joints. Other than those areas I expect to use no filler! Stuff gets built quick around my homestead. It just doesn't seem like it because I usually build five or six at a time. If I focus on this, with the stripes and all, two weeks tops! (The figures on the other hand...)