Hurricane Mk.I, Finnish Air Force (Arma Hobby, 1:72)

Started by Sebastijan Videc · 36 · 1 month ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Extra detail nicely done, Sebastijan (@inflames).

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent progress and nice extra jobs, my friend @inflames!

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thank you John, George and Spiros!

Tim, thank you for your insights. However, there must have been some confusion so far regarding these Hurricanes. A while ago, I was reading about Finnish Hurricanes being ragwings, however HT-452, which I am building, definitely had a metal wing and from what I've gathered, so did several other birds. Now, I don't know whether the ragwings were false info or there was a mix of both ragwings and metalwings delivered, but HT-452 is a metal wing and proudly displayed at Finnish Air Force Museum at Tikkakoski air base, near Jyväskylä.

EDIT: went a bit into the research mode and found photos of HT-452, HU-460, HC-458 and possibly HC-453, all with metal wings - given the fact that only 9 Hurricanes survived the delivery trip, I guess it's safe to say, it was half/half or even less in favor of the metal wing.

Anyhow, on with the progress report.

I added Kitsworld 3d printed harnesses to both seats, though I was not very impressed by the quality of them - quite grainy print and an annoying white stripe by the side, that I tried to hide away with washes.

I used a Yahu instrument panel on Mk.I but to be honest, when I saw how good looks the kit instrument panel with a couple of layered instrument decals, I wouldn't recommend an aftermarket replacement. And even more so, because the IP sits pretty deep in the cockpit and not much of it will be seen even with open canopy.

Mk.I

Mk.IIc

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

The interior looks realy good, Sebastijan @inflames

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

You have done an excellent job so far, my friend @inflames!

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 3 months, 1 week ago:

The fuselage halves were joined together and appropriately riveted. You can see how little of the cockpit and especially instrument panel will be visible.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 1 week ago:

You know that they are there, Sebastijan @inflames
    Fuselage halves look perfectly joined.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent job so far, my friend @inflames!
    Really small cockpit in 1/72!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 months, 1 week ago:

You are absolutely right about metal wings @inflames. Mr Cleaver sometimes use outdated info, but I have to agree with you. Not that I am an expert on these planes, but my library does agree with your research. Anyway to make a correct rag-wing one most likely has to add a venturi tube too, as the early planes had one of those as well, so a rag-wing Mk.I without a venturi is wrong as far as I know.

So rest assured, your build is absolutely correct.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Thank you John and Spiros!
    Thank you Erik for confirming my research.

Fuselages were attached to the wings. Some slight sanding of the mating surfaces was needed, but just a few swipes and wings clicked on without a seam. Having them primed now with Mr.Surfacer/MLT combo, they are ready for the paintjobs!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Looking super, my friend @inflames!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Nicely joined, Sebastijan @inflames

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 months, 1 week ago:

The primer brings everything together. Nice progres Sebastjan!

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

Time to put some paint on the Finnish warrior as well!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 2 weeks ago:

This looks really good, Sebastijan @inflames