Monogram 1/24 UH-1B

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 120 · 2 years ago · 1/24, AB-204, Bell, Helicopters, Monogram, Revell, UH-1B
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Fit of some transparencies was not that great, especially of the lower nose bulbous ones, where huge gaps were experienced. I thus decided to treat those gaps with liquefied styrene, so not only the will be filled, but also the joint will be strong, to withstand the inevitable sanding and polishing that will have to be done at the transparencies. Here they are:

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Seems like you need a large stock of LqS on this one, Spiros @fiveten.
    Good work on the lower transperancies this way.
    Is that BELL logo also present in the 1:1 helicopter?

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    Yep, a lot of LqS and quite a lot of work on the transparencies is ahead...
    The BELL logo is present in the real helicopter!
    Meanwhile, I cleaned all parts and assembled the complete cyclic/collective pitch mechanism...

In many ways, you have to treat this kit like a limited run one...
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Nice progress so far of what looks like a decent vintage kit. With a little work, like you are doing, this should build up to be really impressive build.

• Profile Photo

Looks nicely detailed, Spiros @fiveten.
    Great progress.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @luftwaffe-birdman. It indeed is a decent old mold, if only the transparencies were fitting better...

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

The exhaust is missing any kind of turbine disc at its innrds, just being a lifeless hole

To liven things a tad up, I saw the exhast and added a "turbine" face from a leftover 1/48 Su-27 exhaust. Here is how it looks: . I proceeded by attaching the main gearbox/cyclic/collective pitch mechanism, then attached the gas generator... I did not attach the now separated exhaust, as to do it in final stages, where I will be able to align it with the fuselage opening.

I then proceed to cockpit painting: first painted the IP, stick grips and collective bodies black...

...then every structural part medium gray...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 7 months ago:

You are really moving on this one, Spiros (@fiveten). Revell has released this kit in a lot of different versions, and I am looking forward to your build. Hueys have been around long enough that there are a bunch of different markings available. I have had several flight in Hueys, but I never got used to the idea that you could fly around with the doors open.

• Profile Photo

You're progressing quickly on this one, Spiros @fiveten
    The exhaust does indeed look much better now, sometimes those spare boxes are very helpful.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @gblair and @johnb!

Indeed, Revell reissues this kit at a quite regular manner, I also have the 2001 release (the "gunship" version, which I believe is exactly the same regarding the sprues with my one). There was some scarce info the Hellenic Army Aviation (HAA) operated three -Bs, with serials ΕΣ401, ΕΣ402 & ΕΣ403. No other info or photo is available, with all sources stating that HAA used only -Hs with the bigger cabin. But then, how did those serials come out? If I find sufficient info, I am going to finish my second -B as a HAA bird...

Spare boxes are indeed helpful, I never throw anything!

• Profile Photo

I think it would be cool to do one of these in HAF colors, Spiros (@fiveten). It seems like just about everyone has flown the Huey at one time or another, so I would be surprised if you can't find info on Greek Hueys. The problem is just wading through all of the other info to find the info you need.

• Profile Photo

I can find an amazing amount of info regarding the UH-1H (or the AB-205 "equivalent"), my friend @gblair. Sadly (?) no info whatsoever exists for the UH-1B (or the AB-204 "equivalent"), but in a book issued in 1990 by IPMS Greece, specifically by four members that were meticulous in their research. In this book, it is mentioned that three AB-204s with the above serials "existed", but the writers had no further info and no further info is possible to be found till nowadays! The fact that serial numbers are mentioned makes their existence plausible. My (last?) hope is to get in touch with those guys, something that I am already arranging, so they would provide for some evidence. Upon possible evidence, I will have to decide on the camo, which could be earth/green over light blue or gray!

Meanwhile, the Austrian Huey had its cockpit more and more progressing in painting: I gave the pilots' seat cushions and passengers backrests a coat of olive drab, whereas the passengers seats were painted a medium green, as there seemed no cushion to be there, just fabric.

The visible part of the power section and the gearbox were painted Testors Steel.

Here she is:

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

The last time I built a Huey, I ran into the same problem, Spiros (@fiveten). There were so many different versions, which were called different things depending on where they were made, it really makes it tough to figure out what you model you need to build a specific helo.

• Profile Photo

Doing research is always nice while building, but seems like this time it will not be that easy, Spiros @fiveten.
    Really hope you will get the information you are searching for.
    Seats are looking great.