Westland Lynx AH-7 – Airfix 1/48

Started by Colin Gomez · 48 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros. Mostly painting done at this early point. Lots more to see in today's update, below.

Here is the latest update on the Lynx interior. I have been working mostly on the seat-belts in both the cargo cabin and the cockpit. The first job was to study available pics and figure out the basic structure of the belts. Any scale representation has to be approximate and I experimented combining bits of paper, masking tape and photo-etch until I hit upon a decent replica design. This is all scratch building as the existing Eduard set looked very flat to me and not especially accurate. I was going for a jumbled look of an in-service machine where the harnesses were not buckled and tucked away but rather had been recently thrown aside in action. Here are two pics of the real thing with that look.

To start copying what I could glean from pics, I assembled the bits and pieces and planned the belt design with components that would be identical for each belt (there will be 9 in total for the cabin seating) - the bits shown include bits for the cockpit belts I will show later in the post. When I was satisfied with the basic shape, I clipped on two partially completed examples on the port side seat (still missing two pieces of etch each) to see how they would sit and line up with each other. I proceeded to add detail to each belt in overlapping layers of paper for the fabric part and photo-etch to represent buckles and clips. The yellow-orange belts were cut from a single long strip of paper of even width and pre-painted with Tamiya acrylics. The final stage before gluing the first three belt assemblies to the seat was bending, twisting and crumpling them to make them look more realistic, bendy and scuffed up. The originals are clearly quite long and hang all over the place (see above pic). The alternative was to twist them all together as they look when properly stowed but that seem less authentic to me for an Afghanistan active airframe (also paper doesn't wrap up very well in such thin pieces). Here are pics of how the scratch built belts look now from various angles. . At the stage I was hoping for feedback on how the belts look relative to the photos of the real thing. What do you guys think? Do you think they look right?

I have also mostly completed the harness for one of the cockpit seats. It is a quite different design from the cabin belt and I constructed it from multiple layers of different colored paper, including very thin retaining straps that hold layers together.

I am pretty happy with the design and execution so far. The mostly finished pilot's seat harness is not glued down yet, so it doesn't drape naturally yet. I have to do repaint some etch and paper details here and there and also figure out how to weave in lap belts and other seat details. In later pics, I have painted the top lap cushion Marine Corps Green.

Finally, I have also glued in most of the etch for the control panels and surface details like grills and vents. I had to airbrush a lot of this in advance, although the IP and other panels are pre-painted.

Well, that's it for now. I may get more done this weekend. The seat on the rear bulkhead will need three more belts and some detail painting (tubing unpainted at this stage).

I am very busy with work these days so time is scarce. I hope you find this update worth following. Stay tuned for more. Happy modeling.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Absolutely amazing job, my friend @coling! This interior looks superb!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Very impressive work done on the interior, Colin @coling
    Excellent modelling shown here.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros. Very quiet in the helicopter GB these days. Hopefully, I can get this build done soon and up in headlines. There are some great helicopter models there already.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John. Still tweaking the belt arrangement. I should be happy once they are all done and can be harmonized in appearance.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Seats and belts look fantastic Colin! Great progress and it's nice that so much should be visible still once all is assembled. Good work.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Andrew. I appreciate the feedback on the belts, in particular. Yes, it is nice that everything will be more visible in a helicopter with an open cabin and large cockpit window area. It is interesting finishing the cabin with open doors as I intend to have it weathered enough to have an in-service look. I need to combine techniques for aircraft and armor modeling to get the right look, at least to my own satisfaction. I hope to get a lot more done this week.

• Profile Photo

Here is maybe the last update on the interior before I glue the fuselage halves together. There are a few etch bits in the cockpit to add but I have finally completed all the belts, glued in the seats and glued most of the panels for the interior structure. The most time-consuming task was to finish the fiddly belts, each of which required detailed attention with lots of scrap etch. Keeping track of tiny bits during assembly is challenging

The cockpit seat belts included lap belts as well as a second harness. I also added a retaining loop at the top of each seat from etch and a retraction mechanism cylinder on the rear of each seat made from stretched sprue. I may also add a fire extinguisher on one seat back and some some placards before closing everything up. The four harnesses on the rear cabin fold-down seat were as complex as the others to make but made to hang down straighter with a simplified, stretched-out look. I had to make an additional bit of padding that hid the attachment points for the belts (a seen in the real thing). To get the quilted look for the padding, I used leaded foil from a wine bottle and burnished this down into the quilting of the kit part. The result looked just right as the extra padding seen in photos had a shallower sewn quilting on the overhanging bit. I painted this khaki drab and glued it in with super glue.

There were details to hand paint for the ventilation system in the cabin, then I glued the main pieces together.

Photos show everything clearly but closing up the fuselage casts all my work in deep shadow (see final photos at the end of the post. I can rest assured, though, that the somewhat hidden interior details will standup to the penlight test at a model show (not that I build for competitions or anything). I think the overall results look pretty good. I will let the photos speak for themselves (for a change). I realize my posts are getting a bit long-winded, so I will keep this simple.

As you can see, the test fit is pretty tight and a lot of the details so carefully rendered are lost in shadow..

I will have to do some clamping near the top to close things up properly. The fit is partly tricky because of the extra etch added. Some etch around the cabin doors can only be glued on after things are closed up. I will have to be careful no to dislodge anything during assembly.

BTW, I have left the main IP off for now to allow better views of the work done so far. As shown earlier, it is all ready to pop in any time.

I hope this is worth looking at. It is good to get most of the scratch-building done now on the pit. Looking forward to assembly. Comments welcome.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Spectacular job on the interior, my friend @coling! Yes, closing the fuselage will be challenging.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros. Always good to get your feedback.

• Profile Photo

Excellent interior detailing, Colin @coling
    I love the work you did with the lead foil, a pitty you don't see it once encapsulated.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John. The rearmost part of the cabin is visible from certain angles when the light hits it just right. There will be a lot more detail like that - mainly Eduard etch - by the time the build is done - particularly on the inside of the doors. It's all worth doing, IMO. That's one of the eccentric joys of this hobby.

• Profile Photo

@coling, definitely worth doing all this work. Detailing the interior is as important as doing the outside to my opinion.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Here is an update on the detailing of the Lynx. I got the fuselage closed up and also added some detail in the cockpit.

The fit was very tight and I had to clamp each join carefully and wait for the liquid glue to cure thoroughly before proceeding to the next join, working in stages. I constantly checked alignment of all parts and dry fitted regularly. The main thing is to get good joints so that no filler will be necessary. I use slivers of 5 thou styrene sheet to fill gaps in advance. That way I can avoid filling and sanding after assembly. The usual sanding you could do on a flush riveted aircraft model is impossible here because of all the tiny raised rivets that you could sand off. Airfix has a great design because you can preserve all that rivet detail with the careful assembly and advance filling I described. The main places that need attention are the underside insert joins and all the meeting points of the areas around the turbines and blade assembly. Pretty gappy but fairly easy to deal with with patience.

As for additional cockpit detail, I decided to create one loop cord for the cabin lighting. I created this by wrapping a micro drill bit with enameled copper wire. I then glued it to a piece of styrene, painted it black and glued it to the bulkhead behind the cockpit with super glue.

An hour or so of work was required to assemble the Eduard etch for the overhead panel and levers between the pilot and co-pilot. This color etch is really nice but also really fragile. Bending and inserting the tiny levers was a chore but quite successful. I had to build up the bulkhead the panel was attached to with scrap styrene. The etch piece would break off too easily if only glued directly to the clear part. I was super careful not to get excess glue on the transparency and it all worked out.

Last photos show work done and dry fitted windscreen and nose components. Just a bit of sanding to do around areas where there are no rivets, skis (?) to attach and doors to assemble and it will be ready for masking and painting. . I will paint the rotor assembly separately before gluing it on.

I am quite pleased so far with my first helicopter ever to be fully built. Keeping fingers crossed that it will come out.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Superb result so far, my friend @coling!
    Great approach in overcoming fit challenges. The cockpit looks superb with the loop cord and etched panel.