[Solved] Adding Photos to a Post Since Server Migration

Started by George R Blair Jr · 37 · 1 year ago · photos, posts, server migration
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

For me it still occurs once in a while. Success rate however not as low as twenty percent though. But still one out of ten pictures does refuse to upload.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Same for me, as well, most of the times is a success.

• Profile Photo
    Site Administrator said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Hmm. I will be installing extended logging for all picture uploads starting Monday to track any failed uploads in more detail. Will be back on this

• Profile Photo

Hi Martin, @techsupport @martin,

Just tried to upload another set of pictures, really bad result this time, attached the screen capture of how it looked like, luckily this picture did upload correctly. The ones that failed are in portrait and the one that did upload is in landscape.

@gblair, @fiveten, @airbum, are you guys getting the same error message

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

I get some error messages from time to time, my friend @johnb. Some pics upload, some not. If I recall (but not dead surely) all my pics were in landscape

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 7 months ago:

@gblair, @johnb, @fiveten and @techsupport / @martin, I have a very high succes-rate on my pictures. What I do is use a PC and firefox browser (in-private enabled), but the main reason for my success mae be the fact that I always edit my pictures before upload. One of the major things is that I re-size my pictures to 1200 dpi wide, all in landscape format (1200x675 for a normal screen-ratio). I suppose in these phone-camera days it is a bit dino, but it is my preferred way to do these things anyway, so no problem with that.

George, have you tried reducing the size?

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Hi John (@johnb): This is exactly how mine look when they won't upload.

Hi Erik (@airbum): I also use Firefox, but have tried Microsoft Edge and the Apple browser with similar results. I have tried editing my photos, but not to 1200 dpi width. I can try editing to your dimensions and see what happens. Thanks.

• Profile Photo

@airbum, I have not changed the way I took my pictures, still using the same phone for that, and still using the same Chromebook for uploading them. Prior the server change I had a 100% success rate, after the server change it dropped to a 75% success rate.

• Profile Photo

@johnb would you please mind trying to upload the same set of pictures again? For example via a reply in this very thread.

I have just installed a fix that I'd like you to try, plus new detailed logging is in place now. Thank you for your patience.

• Profile Photo

Sure, will try it right away. The exact same pictures as yesterday which gave the error. They do upload correct now.
    (No modelling pictures, but last time I was just trying to figure out what could be the reason).
    Thanks for all the effort @techsupport
    I'm curious what could have caused the issue.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Oh great, thank you @johnb.

Without hailing it as a success yet, I think we might be into a real improvement here.

Here's an explanation.

Looking into the recent problems with uploads, a pattern that struck me was that while some users were consistently having troubles, others weren't experiencing any problems at all. Also, even users having the problem seemed to be able to upload some of the photos, but not all.

By way of deduction, this brought to mind three possible reasons for this happening: either (1) our security application firewall was incorrectly blocking your images files form uploading, the AI engine therein identifying them as malicious files. Or, (2) resource (memory) limitation settings on the server might have caused some image uploads to bail out, while others would complete ok. Thirdly, (3) some unsupported feature or format in these particular images could have been causing our image processing engine to fail.

I spent time today investigating these options. I could eliminate the firewall alternative fairly quickly, while investigation of our extended logging assured me that the uploader wasn't hitting into any memory limitations.

What struck me was that all users experiencing problems seemed to have kept uploading photos using mobile devices - either iPhone/iPad or Android. Following that lead, I performed an entire series of random uploads using my iPhone and various images directly from the phone's camera roll. I was soon hitting upon a problem similar to yours - some of the images were refusing to upload leaving a notorious "Error: Error" message. The results were repeatable - trying to upload the same files again would yield the same error no matter how many times an upload was attempted.

Looking back into the logs again, I discovered another lead: most of the offending images appeared to be shot in portrait orientation.

I'll explain why this matters. A few years back, the makers of iPhone (and later also Android) introduced a way of handling picture files which was different from, and incompatible with the way JPEG files were saved by most other programs or used at the web. A portrait picture taken with your iPhone isn't really stored in portrait orientation, instead it only carries a few bits of orientation information in its (EXIF) metadata. That's why, when uploading a portrait picture from such a device, the receiving website must reprocess the image and rotate it to actual portrait orientation as used on the web, otherwise the picture would appear in your browser as lying on a side.

iModeler's image processing engine does this routinely for all photos uploaded directly from mobile devices. A discovery today was that a component responsible for image rotation was misconfigured during our server transition, causing your (and presumably only portrait) photos to fail. Doh! From there, it was a fairly easy fix.

This is what I think has been happening, please let me know if the above story is consistent with your experience. If there are any deviations or other outstanding problems with uploads, I'd appreciate further information.

Hope this also improves upon upload problems experienced by @gblair, @paulwoodyvanacker and @scalerambush.

• Profile Photo

Thanks a lot for the explanation and the support, @techsupport. Really appreciate all the work you did to get this solved.
    For me this story is absolutely consistant with what I observed. Till now my issue was with portrait pictures and it also explains that when I rotated them, I was able to upload them.
    Great work.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

@techsupport

I think Erik (@airbum) may have the answer. He told me he always resizes his photos and has no trouble. So I took one of my photos that previously would not upload and resized it to around 1200 x 800. It uploaded perfectly. Then I took 6 photos of my latest build using my iPhone, and resized the photos. I right clicked on each photo which brought up a resizing menu. I selected the option for "Emails and Messages". They uploaded perfectly. Perhaps it is something as simple as the size of the photo? I am using a laptop with Microsoft Windows 11, and I was using Firefox as my browser.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Not really related, byt then again - I usually (only) use a PC for iModeler and prefer the pictures being landscape format. i do not know how a phone acts to a series of mixed landscape/portrait pictures, but it sure does make a better experience on a PC screen when they are landscape.
    Regarding picture size, I have a slow connection at home, and it could take very long to upload pictures back in the days, so I started re-sizing, no problem from then on, so now it is just how I do it by default. All my pictures for iModeler are stored in 1200x675 format.

Thanks for all the great work @techsupport!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Hi @techsupport, I opened a new topic today in the Automotive Group, still had to use the walk round to open the topic, but the photos uploaded without a problem, most were just screen shots on my iPhone in portrait format. Thanks for all your hard work resolving these problems.