Additions to Build Thread

Started by Carl Smoot · 5 · 12 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 year ago:

I have responded to my build thread in Aviation several times, but I notice that it does not re-appear in the headlines area. I am curious about how members would know if a posting has been added to in case they are interested in the subject. Do people have to consciously follow every article in order to see updates to the article? And if so, how is this done? Are notifications sent via email? Thanks. Just trying to understand how this site works.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year ago:

Hi my friend @clipper!

The reason is because your thread is not a build thread in a pure sense, but it is an article. Once posted, the following responses do not move the article again first at the headlines.

The solution is to actually enter your build in one suitable Group Builds, from the numerous found on iModeler. One very suitable is the Work in Progress - Aircraft Group:

https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/

Go there, hit "New Topic" and enter your build. Each time a member comments or each time you repost your progress, your thread will go first in the Groups and eill be visible to all (under the newest Article posting, below there is a list of the latest modified build threads).

In order not to "lose" your current progress, you may copy your article link and paste it to your new thread, and continue posting your progress after it.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 year ago:

Thanks for the help Spiros!

• Profile Photo
    Site Administrator said 12 months ago:

Spiros @fiveten really explained this in the best way, but let me elaborate.

Headlines

An article on the Headlines page is a publication. You do it at a particular time, and can receive comments, and your post will hang around at the front page (for a while), in the Database, and in Google searches. It will also be present in your personal blog, which you and your followers can access through your profile.

This is why the Headlines should be used to show something or tell a story, but not for Q&A or WIPs. To share a milestone achievement with the World, but not the best place for your daily deliberations.

BTW. If you have something to add or follow up on the already published article, the best way of doing it is perhaps not commenting under your own post. Consider posting an entirely new "part 2" article and join the two to form a series, so that the users can freely navigate between the two. For example: https://imodeler.com/2019/11/1-35-pegasus-hobbies-moonlander-has-landed/

Groups

Starting a topic in the Groups Area means starting a living (and potentially lasting) conversation between you and your readers. Topics are meant to be living discussion spaces, and any new addition will bump up the topic to the top of the pile. This makes topics an effective vehicle for any discussion or process, for as long as anyone is interested in keeping on.

Your audience in the Groups topic may be a bit narrower than in the Headlines (no Google or casual visitors :), but also probably more dedicated to engage with you, and you will find ample space to discuss any items, big or small.

That's why Groups are the best places to ask for help, conduct a WIP journal, share your recent purchases, create a SIG, form a private club or run a Group Build. You will find many Groups made for these purposes, and you either start a topic in any of these, or choose to start your own Group.

Hope this helps!

PS. I realized that we haven't had a proper help article that describes the above, so I have added one now:

iModeler tutorial - Understanding Headlines, Groups and Database areas of iModeler
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 12 months ago:

This is very helpful, really great, my friend @techsupport! Thanks for adding this.