Emojis not accepted by the system (Was: Private Messages Problem)

Started by K. J. Bricknell · 6 · 8 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    K. J. Bricknell said 8 years, 11 months ago:

For the last two days I have been unable to post a private message to Halvar von Flake. I kept getting this message: There was an error sending that message, please try again.

Any suggestions as to what is going wrong?

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 8 years, 11 months ago:

I'm getting that same bright red error box when I try to post anything on "...what's new...".

• Profile Photo
    Site Administrator said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Kevin, Craig,

I don't have any easy answer to this one, I think we're still having performance problems on the database side which manifest themselves in this site being slow on random ocassions. Typically, a "there was an error sending that message" could be issued if for whatever reason a sending request cannot be handled by a busy server. I beleive there could be a connection here.

Would you please try this again and thell me if there is any difference?

• Profile Photo

Hi Martin - I just tried posting on "what's new" and got the same error message stating there was a 'problem'. Here's what I attempted to post :

Just got the 1/32 R-M Hawker Hunter. I realize it's ancient (1998), but I never built one before. Looks to be quite a nice kit upon completing the cursory inspection. Hope I don't screw it up too bad.

• Profile Photo
    Site Administrator said 8 years, 11 months ago:

We have identified this as a problem accepting Emojis in the messages.

Emojis are the ideograms or smileys typed directly from the keyboard, see attached. Please note that they are not the same as smileys, which are displayed as icons, whereas emojis require extended font support. On mobile devices such as phones or tablets, emojis are usually included in the form of special keyborad. In newest version of Mac OS X, Emoji icons can be included by hitting the CMD+CTRL+SPACE keys, etc.

The support for correctly diplaying emoji icons still varies across different browsers.

We expect full support for emojis to be included in our software in the coming month or two, but for now the only easy fix is avoiding using them in posts and messages at iModeler.

Apologies for any inconvenience

• Profile Photo

Just tried posting (again) in "..what's new..", but without any 'emojis' this time, and still get that red error banner. Maybe it's just me because of that "awaiting moderation" caveat. By the way, how much longer is that going to be in effect?