“Here’s to Swimmin’ with Bow-Legged Women”

Started by david leigh-smith · 550 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Why am I unsurprised you are the "top end" guy? 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Back many years ago when I started working on automobiles as a profession, I learned from experience and a lot of bloody knuckles that inferior tools caused a lot more pain than was necessary. Besides the physical pain from small scratches and bumps, cheaper tools tend to cause other problems like rounded off bolt heads or stripped out screws.

Once I started purchasing the "better" tools things became easier for me, and in the long run I became more productive since I had less "collateral" problems to deal with.

It became helpful having mechanical knowledge once I branched out into automotive machining. I basically machined / rebuilt and assembled engines and various other automotive components then. On occasion I have built up engines for drag racing and circle track cars.

Now I managed to design and build my very own engine test run stand...

so I can run an engine and make sure that there are no problems before it is installed into a car.

My German Shepherd "helper" Heidi is here in this picture shown above too. Doing what she does... which is hiding. She's very good at sneaking up on people. Her name is a dual purpose name. Heidi is a German girl name and it's what she does very well. She's a great dog and friend.

Here you can see the engine after all of the critical adjustments were made and it's ready for installation. Mabel is the Chocolate Lab in the picture. Mabel is holding her toy rubber duck in her mouth. She was a fetching machine !

We rescued her from the dog pound a day before they were going to put her down. She ended up being a great dog. Sadly she is no longer with us. I had to put her to sleep after she developed cancer. I miss her...

The cool thing about my run stand is that I can use it to install the engine, transmission and front suspension into the car from underneath just like the factory did it on the assembly line.

Once the cross member a K frame are bolted in place, the engine run stand remains on the ground as you raise the car up from it.

Now it's a hobby that I have and I'm always busy doing something. I have restored several Mopar muscle cars and I do the majority of my own work including painting and replacing sheet metal as needed.

When I finish restoration on a car I can guarantee you that it's much better than what it was when it originally rolled off the assembly line.

There was an evolution of sorts as I started going "top end". 🙂

Having a little OCD doesn't hurt here ...

David I hope you don't mind my posting here. I will delete this if you want me to.

Say ... do you need an engine for your "Orca" ?

I know this guy ...

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Just amazing. Kind of makes you just want to grunt and open a beer just LOOKING at those photos. Incredible set up and beautiful results.

Far from deleting, I think yhis is a huge part of why I like doing WiPs - taking modeling and going off on all sorts of side roads (love Heidi, by the way) and by-ways.

Thanks, Louis, for all sorts of reasons!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks David.

The guy standing next to the lift is one of my neighbors. He lets me use his blue car lift anytime I need it.

The other photos are from my work shop. I do need to invest into a lift of my own though. They come in so handy.

I don't drink, but if you ever travel across the big pond you're more than welcome to stop by and I'll have a cold one (or two) waiting for you.

This is exactly why I also enjoy doing a WIP journal. You never know what will happen next !

Thanks again. Heidi says hello ... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Oh yeah! So right! Exactly what I knew. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 1 month ago:

So Louis for those of us not completely familiar with U.S. cars tell us a little about the yellow car!
    Like the run stand, saves all that jiggery pokery with engine hoists and chain blocks etc.
    Dave you will need an engine for Orca!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 1 month ago:

@lgardner Amazing work in scale 1:1 Louis, the width of your knowledge base keeps amazing me...

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Louis, I agree with your assessment of buying the best tools. The up front costs are more expensive but, the dividends and the returns are worth it.

• Profile Photo

That's not a "hobby shop" - it's a factory! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Tie me a sheepshank, Hooper.

• Profile Photo

“Haven’t had to pass basic seamanship in a long time” - ah, Sherwood, a fan. To me, that exact scene is where the movie starts. Despite what Spielberg says, the movie ain’t about a shark. It’s about masculinity, loss, adversity, fraternity, fear (and how it shapes us), and being an outsider.

...and the whole movie revolves around the USS Indianapolis. Obviously.

@BroadcastAir

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 5 years, 1 month ago:

"You didn't say how short you wanted it." and then more dialogue… "Been counting money all you're life"

• Profile Photo

“You got city hands, Mr. Hooper...”

Got a new first mate. Just been adding some little details - next “bench session” will be at the weekend when I’ll try and get some real traction on this build.

...I have to say, though. I feel the need for plastic.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 1 month ago:

David ,
    One do you have the posters for all of the movies or do you just collect the digital images. Two, If you have the posters how do you store them?

• Profile Photo

Hi Stephen - no, I have three posters, the ones on the thread are digital. There's a limit to craziness, even mine...