“Here’s to Swimmin’ with Bow-Legged Women”

Started by david leigh-smith · 550 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Tom. I hope the arm was ok after watching ‘The Movie’ this time around. I heard there were rumours suggesting Spielberg was going to touch up the original print to make the shark a bit more realistic. Part of me thinks, “no”, but another part is really interested so long as they don’t touch anything else.

@tcinla

• Profile Photo

“I rode a tank
    Held a general's rank
    When the blitzkrieg raged
    And the bodies stank“...

What a song, Aleks. Your rambling is always welcome here.

@asekular

• Profile Photo

Thanks for such positive feedback, Erik. Hope to see you again, soon.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Just realized tonight there's another boat named "Orca" in a good movie - the water taxi Joan Wilder (Kathleen Turner) takes to meet her fate in the third act of "Romancing the Stone," which I just watched for the first time in 20+ years tonight. What a good movie - a romance novelist lives a romance novel for real. Of course there's sadness to the story because Diane Thomas, the writer, who had given up ever selling a screenplay and had decided she'd just be the cocktail waitress at the Malibu Inn she'd been the previous 10 years did sell the script to Michael Douglas, it was a huge hit, and with the money she made she bought a Porsche, and she and her new boyfriend wrapped it around a telephone pole on the Pacific Coast Highway out beyond Malibu, just after she got paid for writing "The Jewel of the Nile," which was rewritten after her death by a writer who had no clue how to do what she did to a story, killing it as dead as she was. A true Hollywood tale.

• Profile Photo

Gary Wiley. Shame on you. This holiday weekend - I implore you to watch ‘The Movie’ (best time to watch it).

And hey, when you see where this project is going, you’ll love it. Go on, Gary, watch it.

@wiley2770

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 4 years, 10 months ago:

More Sharks !

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@jamesb

"You are certifiable..." there you are, an actual line from the movie.

I used to know a social worker who would (on the first day of a new job, or at a social gathering) walk around, looking about the place as if he'd lost something, saying, "Pippet...Pippet...Pippet" - in the hope that someone would recognise that he was, in fact referencing the dog that was munched in 'Jaws'. Being a huge Jaws fan, his rationale for this was that he'd find someone that he had something in common with.

This is how I met him. Wish I could say we became lifelong friends, but I can't even remember his name...

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 4 years, 10 months ago:

English mythology would have you believe that a black dog is essentially a nocturnal apparition, in some cases a shapeshifter, and is often said to be associated with the Devil or described as a ghost or hellhound. Its appearance was regarded as a portent of death. It is generally supposed to be larger than a normal dog and often has large glowing eyes. So Pippet symbolizes... and what of a model named Orca? So now we can expect a four legged dog placed on the model? These subtle references to the under world just lead to a foreboding sense of dread and doom. Or not.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Well, my black kitties are keeping all well here in the City of Lost Angles, where 2 hours ago we had a 7.1 "aftershock" to a 6.4 earthquake yesterday that is now being called a "pre-shock." Epicenter is fortunately about 125 miles NNE of here, around NAS China Lake in the Owens Valley, south of the Mammoth Mountain ski resort. Out first major seismic activity since "the big one" back in 1994 (7.2, epicenter about 6 miles north of Le Chateau du Chat). Yours truly was "rockin' 'n' rollin' here several seconds longer than expected - no damage to models though.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Lo and behold - Danish TV transmitted Jaws Friday evening. Sadly I had to get up early, but managed to stay awake untill the Indianapolis story. The translator had texted the dogs name as "Tippet". Really enjoyed the little I saw of the movie, especially the effect of "real" film and the use of people called "focuspuller"s - Hope they will air the movie again soon, but till then I am enjoying every bit of the journey here.

• Profile Photo

“We’re gonna need a bigger thread...”

Sometimes in the small hours, a man’s train of thought can run to dark stations, the mind wondering to bleak and comfortless terrains. In such moments our beliefs in the rational and logical can waver, our sense of self cast adrift in an unfeeling and uninterested universe.

I found myself in just such a scenario, around 4pm this Saturday gone. Happy, with the sun shining, time to myself, sitting at the bench with nary a worry in the world. The Orca, about to enter a new and exciting phase of her build, and I, with not even a whiff of the impending cal(amity).

Enter an innocent pot of wood varnish...

And the Orca suddenly looked as though Hooper, Brody, and Quint had suffered catastrophic levels of projectile diarrhoea.

But, like those Buddhist monks painstakingly making intricate mandala sand art just to destroy it, I had to entirely rip out the internal furnishings of the Orca’s cabin.

There was a moment, fleeting but real, where I had the boat in my hands and the temptation to smash it to pieces like the shark did at the end of the movie. But the instant passed, sanity (or what passes for it) returned, and I gently positioned her on the plinth. For that short breath of time, though, some deep lock in my brain snicked open, a primal reminder of just how tenuous our (my) grip on good sense and sound judgement really is.

So, when your little ones misbehave, and you have the urge to scare your children into submission, fill them not with visions of the bogieman, goblins, and the undead. Instead, whisper in their ear...”if you don’t behave the crazy guy who builds the boat will get you...”

• Profile Photo

Hej,
    Good to hear from you, Erik. Hope you watch the whole movie sometime, especially that third act aboard the Orca.

Keep enjoying the journey, my friend...

min luftpudebåd er fyldt med ål

@airbum

• Profile Photo

@stephen-w-towle

‘These subtle references to the under world just lead to a foreboding sense of dread and doom.“

Considering today’s post, you, Miister Towle, are a psychic. Or a psychotic, I get mixed up somethings...

• Profile Photo

A devastatingly sad story on Diane Thomas, Tom. Something of the Monkey’s Paw’ about it, a true Hollywood fable.

Glad the model collection (and you...) survived the quake and shake. You got some of my favourite 190s in that airborne anthology of yours.

@tcinla

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Mom said they'red be days like this. Maybe next time a test strip of wood or perhaps wreckage would be a good bet in finding the right color for the interior ...

Youtube has a little history on the movie about the 3 Bruces. Named after Spielberg's lawyer and they too almost destroyed or ruined a movie. But, with good editing, music and film of the real deal the movie was saved . The mishap with those wretched micro-wave Burritos and the ensuing mess I am certain can be over come. Not everybody can play Bruce either...