“Here’s to Swimmin’ with Bow-Legged Women”

Started by david leigh-smith · 550 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 5 years, 3 months ago:

This WIP is becoming legendary—and hilarious. Don't screw up the build David. No pressure 😉

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Been there (in different fact circumstances) done that.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Now here’s some education for you modeling types. ‘Paronychia’ - man, look it up. Started with the smallest nick with an exacto knife near the nail of my little finger, ends with trying to talk the doc I saw this morning to just take the damned finger off.

• Profile Photo

Matt, you are way too kind.

• Profile Photo

tell us more! I came close to losing a finger when I didn't take a bite from one of the kitties - failed to realize a cat bite is the most dangerous non-venomous animal bite you can get, nearly lost my right index finger and it is permanently more stiff than the others (but I can type with it and that's crucial).

• Profile Photo
    Matija Skobe said 5 years, 3 months ago:

and kids, these reasons are why vaccination is important, i may be autistic but i am resilient middle aged ****er.
    Ah when i remember all cat scratches and bites, drill bits through fingers, rusty nails through feet, cuts on oil filters, AVGAS or Hydraulic oil in eyes, mouth. and not a single visit to hospital

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Looked it up on Wiki. Paronychia...now I am a professional something or other. It can be the result of "dish washing, finger sucking, aggressively trimming the cuticles". After your cut where you finger sucking? Hmmm this modeling business can be dangerous indeed.
    I do wear latex gloves when painting or at some stage have put on the gloves to protect the finish. Although, stopping x-acto knifes from cutting the fingers...maybe a bottle of antiseptic close at hand with a sign; "Only use in case of emergency", prior to finger sucking.
    Jameson, and GreyGoose come to mind, poured liberally over the wound of course. Followed by a visit to a doctor.

Ironic that the subject matter is about a Monster Shark with many sharp teeth ...cue music.

• Profile Photo

Well, if you guys can stomach it, this is what paronychia looks like. Started out as the tiniest nick with a knife (like @matija_skobe I’d usually deal with lacerations with a quick clean up and some CA glue, much to the horror of the family) and continued blowing up quicker than a politician on a diet of lies.

Anyway, notwithstanding antibiotics and single malt (thanks for the suggestion @stephen-w-towle) I managed to get some more building done. The thinking time was good to re-evaluate progress and up my game a bit, which can be seen in the remade lower deck cabin aft bulkhead (seen in the ‘finger photo’) above. It’s really much better.

Made the lower cabin bulkheads, which were very delicate and fiddly, and started work on the mast.

I also started decking the deck (if that makes sense) and it looks pretty good. To me, the lines look right and the shape is good. So many of these Orca projects suffer from small dimensional problems that build up in aggregate, leaving something that ‘looks’ like the iconic boat, but is ultimately unsatisfying (like many poorly reseached model kits).

Next up will be making the cabin furniture and planking the hull. Probably not until the weekend...depending on still having ten fingers...

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Found this on YouTube.
    The fate of the Orca...Orca I and Orca II.

• Profile Photo

It's always interesting what gets left behind from Hollywood movies. the full-siz Bell X-1 model used in The Right Stuff is out at Planes of Fame in Chino, where it's falling apart. Cheap plywood construction for something needed for six weeks...

• Profile Photo

David,

I’d like to make funny quip, but nothing comes to mind looking at your finger. Damn, the littlest thing can become something big. Reminds me of 49er’s safety Ronny Lott who broke his finger and had the Dr. cut it off because he could play sooner than letting it heal.

Not saying that is the correct course for you. His was pinky finger, not the prime nose picker. Single malt is a great prescription for this particular ailment. Or, straight up bourbon, or pretty much anything 80 proof or better.

Stay strong pal, we need you in this fight.

• Profile Photo

The photo really shows that swelling - it IS my pinky finger (left hand) !

• Profile Photo

Boy that is swelled up then…

• Profile Photo

Just consider yourself lucky you weren't bit by a cat - which turns out to be the most dangerous non-venomous animal bite out there. Got bit for thinking of my "tame feral" as more tame than feral (wrong!), and then giving it four days where I didn't take it seriously. Finally ended up in the hospital (thank you Veteran's Administration for it being free - that year in hell finally paid off) with 24/7 IV drip antibiotic and a surgeon telling me for three days "I'm not sure we won't have to amputate." The end result is, my right index finger (most important) can be bent fully at the first joint, and 5% at the tip, but it's enough to be able to type and to coordinate index finger/thumb coordination to pick things up. Lucky me!

• Profile Photo

Tom, I swear that if someone offered to just chop this finger off right now, I’d do it. It isn’t getting much better despite a week or so of anti-biotics, anti-inflammatories, and anti-damned-everythings. It looks like someone’s stuffed 6lbs of road-kill into a condom.

But...I have some progress on the model.

Some panelling on the inner cabin.

Started on the hull planking.

Also made the facia for the instrument panels and access to belowdecks.

The sad remains of the Orca back in the ‘90’s in Martha’s Vineyard. Apparently the owner had to have it towed off as it was becoming a hazard for souvenir hunters.