“Here’s to Swimmin’ with Bow-Legged Women”

Started by david leigh-smith · 550 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Louis. No, I’m going to put some lighting in the cabin and wire up the nav lights, but I ain’t an ‘out in the park playing with his boat’ kinda guy. Nothing against it, just not me. Too much outdoors, too many people.

Yep, the detail is coming on - all a little rough at the moment but haven’t done any sanding yet.

Sounds like great memories with your dad.

Thanks for the post(s) Louis, always a pleasure.

• Profile Photo

Cheers, Matt - my hat is doffed at your memory for a line.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 2 months ago:

David, is the boat going to be a stand alone model?...or with lighting and the right setting and props you could set the stage for some interesting photo's... finding scale yellow barrels that will be interesting challenge. Which is one of the central themes of the movie and how they represent ... how you can sink or swim in life. Or there presence can translate into horror.

Please no ketchup...now food coloring with the right amount of dye...its always fun to read and see how these projects evolve and present possibilities for the modeler. Keep up the good work.

Oh, Good catch on the blue marbles ...when you reach a certain age your entitled.

• Profile Photo

Ah, my sea making days are over for the moment. If I made her a little smaller I’d have been tempted to do the barrels and a fin (technically two) into a dio. My intent is to have the Orca cabin lighted and just sitting in the corner, a nod toward the ‘scars/Indianapolis’ scene.

When the weather here gets a little more old man friendly, I’ll get back on to my underwater Hellcat build, a legacy of Jaime’s ‘Nose Art’ Group Build, that may win a prize as the latest every entry for a group build.

Thanks for the feedback, Stephen.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 2 months ago:

So sitting across the room ...with base ball hat half folded ...bill pointed upward firmly in place...its called the Shark in Baseball terminology... One could look over the sea of tranquility and raise a glass to the guy's having a O.D.C. session? I have to take modeling with a grain of salt. Another hobby, being a fisherman, remember half of the whats being write is a story and other half is a lie. Looks like fun. What will you use to seal the wood? Will you then prime the surface and then paint? Followed by varnish?

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Awesome progress David! Way back in the before time, first heard of the movie and accompanied book while at sea, It just heightened one of my worse fears, falling off the flight deck with out a 'float coat'.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Sadly true...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Jame, THAT is excellent. And yes, true. And yes, sad.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Great progress, sorry for the battle wounds David. I luv this thread!

• Profile Photo

Michel, it’s always great to have you along on these epic builds; your humour and knowledge base have been integral to the fun of the last few builds. A Huge thanks.

• Profile Photo

“Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies...”

The first mention of Quint’s ditty in history dates back to 1624, although it’s more accepted that it only became popular in the Napoleonic Wars when English soldiers sailed to Spain providing weapons and goods for the Spanish fight against the would be Emperor.

Our antihero, Quint, takes some liberties by moving the action to Boston (presumably referencing the American War of Independence), but the lyrics are true to the original.

1. Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies
      Farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain
      Cause we’ve received orders for to sail for old England,
      But we hope in a short time to see you again.

Chorus:
    We’ll rant and we’ll roar like true British sailors,
    We’ll rant and we’ll rave across the salt seas, Until we strike soundings in the Channel of England,

From Ushant to Scilly is thirty-four leagues.

1. We hove our ship to, with the wind at southwest, boys,
      We hove our ship to, for to take soundings clear.
      In fifty-five fathoms with a fine sandy bottom

We filled our main tops’l, up Channel did steer.
    Chorus:

1. The first land we made was a point called the Deadman,
      Neaxt Ramshead off Plymouth, Start, Portland and Wight;
      We sailed then by Beachy, by Fairlee and Dover,
      Then bore straight away for the South Foreland Light.

Chorus:

1. Then the signal was made for the Grand Fleet to anchor,
      We clewed up our tops’ls, stuck out tacks and sheets

We stood by our stoppers, we brailed in our spankers,

Then anchord ahead of the noblest of fleets
    Chorus:

1. Let every man here drink up his full bumper,
      Let every man here drink up his full bowl,
      And let us be jolly and drown melancholy,
      Singing, here’s a good health to all true-hearted lass.

Chorus:

Anyway, here’s some ACTUAL modeling...

• Profile Photo

“Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish! Not like going down to the pond and chasing bluegills and tommycods. This shark, swallow ya whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', down you go. “

This scratchbuilding stuff is a hoot. Really, really, enjoying it. And this is before we even get to the details, painting, rigging, and the like.

Bit worried about having to paste the boat and seal her, but one step at a time. Started making the flying bridge, a defining part of the build.

I think when she’s painted the cabin will look great illuminated. Going to have to think about a base - have several ideas but as usual, too many idea and too little time.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 2 months ago:

What do you do with a drunken sailor
    Put em in a longboat till he sobers
    Early in the Mornin
    Ooh way up she rises, Ooh way up she rises...
    That's all I got. Nice work, David.

• Profile Photo

Getting more of the flying deck done. That’s the good news.

...bad news is I’m doing it listening to Rush...after midnight.

Anyone out there even heard of them? Is this a thing with scratchbuilding...if I start reading Ayn Rand I’m lost.

• Profile Photo

Robert, anyone with a shanty is welcome aboard.