Needed some motivation to tackle my BV 138...

Started by Greg Kittinger · 9 · 5 years ago · 1/72, BV 138, Movies
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Found it on the IMPDb database of "every" aircraft to ever appear onscreen. In the documentary "Feuersturm - Der Bombenkrieg gegen Deutschland" (Firestorm - The Bombing Campaign Against Germany - 2003), the "Flying Clog" makes an appearance. Enough for me! I'm in! By the way - here's the database: http://www.impdb.org/index.php?title=Category:Aircraft_List

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

'The Flying Clog' - well, I said you had a taste for the unusual, and this will take some beating in the esoteric stakes. If anyone makes a model from a more obscure source I WILL eat my hat. Well done, Greg, and thanks for the link. After the frankly amazing job you did on that Privateer a while back I am REALLY looking forward to this.

Wheels up as usual?

@gkittinger

• Profile Photo

Wheels - what wheels?! It will be in-flight, and I had a brief thought of making the base look like water and attempting to portray it just after takeoff - even streaming some water with a wake streaming behind it. Then my good senses got the better of me, and I realized I don't have the skill of all the ship dio builders who post such beautiful work here, and I would make myself nuts trying to come up to that standard, AND would lose time on all the other builds that are piling up in my stash. So... all that to say... in-flight as usual!

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 7 months ago:

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. YOU'RE BETTER THAN YOU THINK.

• Profile Photo

You have over a year to bring this in, Greg. Personally, and as your friend, I’m just delighted you are joining the group, but the psychologist in me says it’d be good to experiment and play with the comfort zone. have to say that if I compared myself to our modeling brethren in Northeast Asia, I’d never build another model in my life.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Great choice Greg@gkittinger love these strange flying boats.
    Well spotted with the imdb database - might have to explore that myself!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I’d wish someone would release a 1/48 scale model of this plane, you really can’t get more exotic than this, even considering French inter wars designs. Go ahead and build it Greg!

• Profile Photo

This would be one big ‘Clog’ in 48. Great choice and brilliant to see such an exotic bird on the Group.

• Profile Photo

@holzhamer Pedro - strange you would say that about French designs - I was considering also adding a Potez 540 to the build and actually pulled it out of my stash this morning! My original intention was an Amiot 143, but realized I didn't have one, so defaulted to the BV 138 that I'd been wanting to build anyway. I'm sure I can find some obscure documentary featuring the Potez aircraft...!