Seven Kingdoms and Beyond the Infinite

Started by Aleksandar Sekularac · 40 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Well, it’s no fun to be the part of this group and keep everything under the wraps. I guess I will have to reveal at least one side of the scene I plan to make.

As a thematic companion to my Game of Tupolev, here’s our beloved antagonist… the man with the plan… well, he used to be a man… now, he’s the silent one... the one who wins every staring contest… the one with most followers on any social platform in the North… All singing, all dancing: The Night King!

You have three guesses to come up with the kit I’ll be using for this model.

I never painted a figure before!
    Well I did, the driver of my 1:72 MAZ 537. But I expect this to be a different sort of thing here… Definitely no need for skin tone shading…

There you go, one side of the mystery revealed. Happy now David? The other side remains in the dark… for now…

Did I say I never painted a figure before?

Cheers,
    Aleks

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

What. A. Reveal.

Strangely the comment you made about the Tupolev also stands with this stunning build; ‘the love-child of brutality and grace’. There are believers that the Night’s King could yet be a hero rather than a villain in the epic saga of ice and fire.

This is everything I could have hoped for, Alex. Dare we hope for a companion? Daenerys? Tyrion? I have been stunned by the response to this Group Build and your Game of Thrones/Tupolev double Build has just tipped me over the edge into geeky, giddy, excitement.

Simply superb, Alex. Thank you!

@asekular

• Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I really have high hopes for our blue-eyed fella in the final season.

The narrative of GoTh started converging to the good vs. bad cliché that is quite out of tune with its many-faceted Machiavellian roots. I am confident R.R. Martin has some more interesting ending in mind and there are also various clues throughout the series that it is so.

I think the only true King has the crown growing on his head.

Now, about his companion in my story… this is the part still in the black.
    The clue is in the title and when I finish this figure, I’ll reveal the rest. 😉

Cheers,
    Aleks

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Aleks, given the deadline for the group build is over a year away, I think this is the start of a long and eventful post. The Winds of Winter will be with us (hopefully) in ‘19 - and the series will end.

Valar Morghulis.

• Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 5 years, 6 months ago:

The King is dead! Long live the King!

The most patient person beyond the wall. Well, the Wall is no more… so just the most patient and determined one - full point. Night King would be an awesome scale modeller.

So deliberate at the Massacre of Hardhome; on his wrinkled face there was almost a hint of amusement as John Snow reduced one of his vassals to icicles. “So, the pretty one has a blade that can cut. Hmm, I guess I ought to collect that dragon after all…” Does he know it all, or he enjoys the trill of chance? Standing there on the icy shores of the Wildling village, with raised arms he commits all the slain to his cause. Amazing moment!

Speaking of that wrinkled face, after watching many a YouTube tutorials on skin-tone blending, highlights and shadows and realistic eye-ball painting, I was non the wiser. He doesn’t have whites of the eyes, his face structure doesn’t allow for any of the usual tricks with the brush to work and his cheeks wouldn’t blush even if Khaleesi dropped her robes in front of him.

So here’s my first 1:16 head, painted mostly in shades of grey. I will be more comfortable with his armour, where I can use some of the skills I already have…

Being an injection-plastic kit, there IS some assembly required. Apart from his scull being a three-piece joint, the fingers on both hands are cast separately and there is some work to be done before they are seamlessly blended with the rest of the arms.

Winter is coming!
    Aleks

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Winter is here...

And what a way to spend it. This is a fabulous start, Alex. Love the eyes, and that mood lighting. This will be a fantastic gem in the crown of ‘iModeler at the Movies’ and here’s hoping we don’t have to wait years for new instalments.

Oh, and ‘Hold the Door’ - just classic.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Aleks @asekular, A most excellent way to start! I cannot speak much of GoTh, sadly I haven't had the chance to follow it, but I get the gist of it. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far of the work and will be following. The Hodor brought a smile to my face. Mother had to utilize a cane the last few years of her live and sometimes relied on an electric scooter. She loved to go to Las Vegas, a lot! She had me make her door stops for when she was out there to ease getting in and out of her room. She would end up forgetting about them and come home without so I would have to make her a new one. I finally cut up a dozen of them and gave her a little stash to keep at home.

Looking forward to what is to come.

• Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Hello all,

The spring may have sprung, but make no mistake, the Winter is here!

As its protagonist (antagonist?), so has this build remained silent and obscured in the veil of frosty haze for a long, long time. However, before the final season of the Game of Thrones is upon us, I intend to have this figure ready.

I studied available footage and stills of the Night King, to try to determine what are the proper colors and textures to use on this figure. The trouble is that this character always arrives with the tsunami of post-production effects, to the point that some scenes look more animated than acted. The actor underneath the NK mask has changed between the seasons and his outfit evolved as well. The ICM depicts the Night King armor in its early state – more or less at the point of “Massacre at Hardhome”, but his facial features resemble more the current actor, Vladimir Furdik. You can see the comparison of the “early and late” Night King in the pictures below. Note that his upper arms use to be bare towards the shoulders, but now they are covered completely and there is also additional plating in his chest armor in the later episodes. I am still considering if to add these features on my figure.

The Night King is very much presented in monochrome, so there is a challenge of bringing color variation and interest to the figure, without completely departing from the original. We don’t want this to be some kind of fantasy, do we? I found out that the NK is very hard to photograph as well – I was struggling to find right combination of parameters for these images, to show the nuances in tone I see with my naked eye.

The work is far from done... Don’t blink your eyes, the White Walkers are southbound!
    Cheers,
    Aleks

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Amazing work!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 1 month ago:

I bow before your undead magnificence, Aleks.

Bran (sorry, the Night King) is looking just amazing. Beautifully rendered, sumptuous paintwork. The texture you manage to achieve is wonderful. Really not easy to get so much feel in a dark palette.

Bravo. Should that be Bravos?

• Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Thank David and Michel!
    So David, you think that the Bran / Night King theory holds water? I am still hopeful that the end will bring something that no-one thought of...
    I was planing to finish NK before the month ends, but this ain't happenin‘. The next deadline (to blow) is the beginning of the Season 8 in April...
    Cheers,
    Aleks

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Hell, Aleks, as long as your deadlines don’t become like GRR Martin’s...

I have a feeling about the time travelling Bran, I think the theory will hold in either the book or the show, maybe not both. That’s if we ever see the end of the books...

Great to hear from you.

• Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 5 years ago:

“Oh, my sweet summer child, what do you know of fear?

Fear is for the winter, my little lord, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the North.

Fear is for the long night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods…”

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 5 years ago:

The battle is imminent, life and death hang in balance. Existential questions seek answers. “How do you know there is an afterwards?” Well Bran, you are the Greenseer, but I am the GOT Seer and I know it ain’t endin’ after episode 3, so there IS an afterwards at least for some of ya! Also, for the death to exist, there must be life. But let’s not get all philosophical…

The second part of this projects begins, as we turn our gaze beyond Seven Kingdoms, behind that clockwork Sun and into the abyss that lies beyond.

You can see the base already glazed, you can see our blue eyed antagonist, patiently waiting, and also that strange cuboid in my hand. What is this representing? I will refer you to the very beginning of this post and focus on the work at hand instead.

As in many things, some wood will meet the saw…

1^2 : 2^2 : 3^2

Be safe,
    Aleks

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years ago:

“For the night is dark and full of terrors”

How in the name of the Seven did I miss this? Ah, Aleks, this is wonderful. In a dark, twisted, grim sort of wonderful.

A fitting tribute just exactly at the right time.