Spielberg Movie With a Shark Mouth

Started by Michael E Rieth · 154 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Christmas Eve 1941.

This is how far I got by December 24th. The major components are done. I still have a lot of small stuff to do. The weathering still has to be done. Other than the P-40 and cab of the pickup truck, everything is scratch built.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and have a Happy New Year of modeling!

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 4 months ago:

This is looking really great Michael @mrieth, Merry Christmas to you too!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Amazing work, Michael. Tied with David's Orca from Jaws as my favorite project of this group.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Tom, @tcinla. After working on this diorama to recreate what I see in photos from the movie , I have come to realize that the Art Director and department packed this scene with everything they could think of. At least I found a use for the vinyl tires from the 4 AMT Tigercat kits that melted into the wing of one of them. I kept the tires all these years in a separate plastic baggie.

• Profile Photo

My first attempt ever at modifying a figure by sculpting with Apoxie Sculpt. I had to "zip up" the leather flight jacket and add pockets. It needs some sanding/filing and a few more coats of primer to fill it out.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 4 months ago:

That figure looks very good to me! Hard to believe it's only 1/48.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 4 years, 4 months ago:

The indomitable Captain Kelso doing his best Yosemite Sam impression! As a model builder it would've been fun to work on 1941. The miniature set for downtown was amazing especially since it was lit by practical lighting given off by all the windows and signage. This is some amazing work Michael!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Hello Michael, @mrieth
    This is some very impressive work on display here ! I am seriously liking your diorama... and Belushi would be proud of you... the mods you made to the figure are incredible. This is something way above my pay grade, especially when you consider that it's in 1/48 scale. Absolutely incredible.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 3 months ago:

This is modelling of a special nature. Few modellers have the chops to swim in these waters - the imagination, creativity, technical skills, and artistry. The photo you sent on Christmas Eve is...well, I’m sure the Germans have a word for it - precise, captivating, and the whole and parts work together - the ‘gestalt’ is nigh on perfect.

Bloody well done.

@mrieth

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 3 months ago:

I'm doing my best to get as much done for the Feb. 10 deadline as I can. I was going to try to 3D design and print the tires and rims, but due to the time constraints, I found a cheap 1/43 scale diecast truck online and took the wheels. The chrome hub caps needs to be dulled down. I tried to pry the headlights off, but the chrome bevel broke. The clear lens are good. I'm making new bevels from Evergreen tubing.

• Profile Photo

If I win an award, I'm not thanking the Academy, I'm thanking AMT, the AMT F7F Tigercat that is, for contributing so much to this diorama.

I have 3 in the stash from when they were first released. I took all the vinyl tires and strewn them about. I needed 55 gallon trash barrels and I remembered that the Tigercat kit had a crate on a barrel for propping up the tail heavy model, much like the real aircraft when low on fuel. So I cut the crates off and now I have 3 trash cans and 3 wooden crates to fill out the junk in the yard.

And my wife wonders why I never throw anything away, jeesh!

• Profile Photo

I got some paint on Capt Wild Bill Kelso. Starting to come together. I still need to do highlight and shadows. The holster is left over from the Tamiya WWII US Navy Pilots w/ Moto-tug figures that I used on my F2H-2 Banshee diorama. Another reason why I never throw anything away.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Looking great! Hey, I don't even throw old instruction sheets out.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 3 months ago:

There's a very thin line between "modeler" and "hoarder." (sez I, using a 40 year old decal sheet on a recent project) 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Michael I haven't posted any comments until today but I want to tell you I've really enjoyed watching your progress with this dio. Great work.