Spielberg Movie With a Shark Mouth

Started by Michael E Rieth · 154 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    David Mills said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Wild Bill looks great Michael! Great to see this coming together.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 3 months ago:

There is this neat art deco vintage travel trailer in the background of the shot when the woman goes to pump the gas for the P-40.

I wasn't going to include it in the diorama, but I had some dead space to fill on the right side of the diorama. I thought, well maybe if I can find some info on the internet, (What did we do before the internet?), I'd build the travel trailer. It turns out it is a 1947 Aero Flite Falcon Travel Trailer. I found dimensions, patent drawings and photos of restored campers online, enough info for me to do some CAD drawings and laser cut the parts. It is not true for the year 1941, but it was in the movie, so I'll include it.

The camper has louvers on the front that I made using my technique of alternating long .020" x .020" strip styrene with .020" x .060" short spacers. I do something similar for inside the landing gear wells on aircraft models. I also laser cut some blinds for the windows.

I used quarter round and half round styrene strips for the rain deflectors over the windows/door and the stiffeners on the side of the camper.

I'm surprised how quickly the travel trailer is coming together, having no info 2 days ago to what I have built so far today. I might get it done for the deadline.

P.S. There is a 1/43 scale Aero Flite Travel Trailer made by NEO, but it is rare and expensive at over $100, some over $200, so that and the reason that I enjoy scratch building, is why I'm going my way.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Michael: If the people I am dealing with eventually say "yes" to the project we're pitching to them (sorry, "Hollywierd superstition" prevents more info), I am going to make sure you are on the set design team. (Don't hold your breath, you'll turn blue and die). Your set design ability is just mind-boggling. I love every bit of this project, but the travel trailer is the mark of fookin' genius. I love it!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom. My friend and I have a joke, I wanted to be a Miniature DP, doing Practical Effects like the ones in 1941 and he pictured Mini Me. I worked with a company that had a motion control camera doing miniatures, sets and special effects rigging. CGI killed the industry.

• Profile Photo

The sides are on. I need to do the curved front and back windows and the door. Then it is ready for silver and red trim. The camper reminds me of a WWI tank.

Aero Flite trailers were built by Aero Lines at the Van Nuys Metropolitan Airport after WWII. Construction was similar to building aircraft with aluminum and magnesium. About 110 to 120 were built, maybe 20 survive today.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 3 months ago:

This travel trailer is simply amazing... It went from a thought to this in practically no time at all. I also like how you included a little history into the trailer as well. There's just something special about polished metal...be it on an airplane, a car or anything for that matter.

I remember seeing pictures of the Greyhound and Trailways passenger busses from this era, and they were also works of art, just as your Aero Flight trailer is.

Keep it up my friend.

• Profile Photo

Louis, unfortunately the travel trailer will be dull aluminum and weathered as it was in the movie. I didn't know anything about this camper a few days ago, but I do now, isn't model building great. You learn so many different things to complete a project.

Here is a link if anyone is interested: http://www.aeroflitetrailers.com

Happy modeling!

• Profile Photo

The Aero Flite Travel Trailer is ready for the paint shop for masking, primer and paint! I added the trailer tongue, frame and propane tank cover to the front and made the rear bumper, which was a modification from the original trailer. I found an a/c nose wheel from the spare parts box. I drilled out for the brake and side lights.

The frames around the front and rear windows will be painted separately and applied later.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Last time I got this excited by a ‘trailer’ (a ‘caravan’ to us limeys) was the summer of 1985. A long story and not for public sharing...

Beautifully built, and really looking forward to seeing more. Masterful.

• Profile Photo

Thanks David. I got the Model Master Metalizer non buffing aluminum paint sprayed today. Tomorrow the red decal trim is applied. I have some clear red sprue for the tail lights. And finally the frames for the front and back windows go on.

• Profile Photo

This is simply amazing. To think that you scratch built this trailer up from simple sheet plastic is mind boggling. You guys who have mastered the art of doing this type of work have my utmost respect. Marc Barris, Morne Myer and you are in a league of your own. The “Masters” of plastic.

Thanks for sharing this with us. I’ll bet it looks even more realistic now that you have sprayed the paint on it.

• Profile Photo

Louis, @lgardner I did it "Old School" for years with an X-acto and ruler. I graduated to a scroll saw, band saw and belt sander. The laser cutter, although expensive, allows me to do so much more. Of course, I had to learn CAD. Maybe one day I'll get a 3-in-one like these https://all3dp.com/1/all-in-one-laser-3d-printer-scanner-cutter-engraver-cnc/ . CNC router, 3D printer and laser cutter in one.

• Profile Photo

Funny thing you have mentioned that. I had an idea that involved a laser cutter. I’ll send you an email in a few days about that. I had a few questions for you if you don’t mind.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 3 months ago:

I'll echo David (a trailer at the Mojave Air Races in 1976, also a tale for another time). Getting excited about a trailer might sound funny, but a trailer like this... wow!

Just truly excellent, superb work, Michael. Can't be beat.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks, Tom. After quick work building the trailer, now it is starting to fight me. The double stick tape for the front and rear window frames doesn't want to stick, probably because of the bend and compound curves. I need to think of a solution, I didn't want to have to make a pattern and vac-form them.