The Bridge on the River Kwai

Started by Peter Hausamann · 186 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks Jeff for the visit, and kind words.
    Are you going to be involved with the iModeler at the Movies? I sure hope so.
    How about movie with tank operator Denzel Washington in Courage Under Fire.

@mikegolf

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Peter, thank YOU for the very kind words.

I wasn't able to think of anything that I'd be able to do. However, your idea is smashing - I hadn't thought of "Courage Under Fire" - I've never seen all of the movie. Thanks for the idea!

Since you have better ideas than I do, and when you have a free minute or three, can you think of any movie or TV show where an F6F-3 Hellcat aircraft or a Crusader MkIII tank were used? I have a MUCH better chance of finishing those 2 models before the turn of the next century! I'm so slow they time me with a sundial!

Thanks again, Peter! I'm so impressed with your bridge. Every time I visit this posting, I begin to whistle the movie tune, the Colonel Bogey March. It was a VERY popular piece of music when I was in school (mid to late 1960s) - we played it in Concert Band at an end-of-the-year concert and later did a Halftime show (at our American High School football game) using it in our Marching Band. I was curious about both the movie and the Whistling tune, and I was/am VERY surprised to find out that the Col. Bogey March was only USED in the movie, and was actually composed in 1914! There's your trivia for today!

The bridge is awesome, Peter - Thanks for sharing!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Jeff for encouraging post. much appreciated.

Did a quick Internet search, and the F6F-3 was on the USS Essex and USS Yorktown.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_F6F_Hellcat#/media/File:Ray_Wagner_CollectionImage(16156795450).jpg

And TV shows and movies of these were in . . .

Hollywood and the USS Yorktown
    As for the tank. You may find a movie from where the tank was used. See Combat history in the following link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruiser_Mk_III @mikegolf
  • Profile Photo

• Profile Photo

Finally got all the lateral trestle boards in.

Next, covering this, is the longitudinal decking planks.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

When you went live with this build, Peter, I thought, “now THAT is a long term project”. This build has really caught fire and developed a life of its own - a real poster build for the Group.

Amazing work.

PS. I’ve been playing something of a ‘where’s Wally’ with your bridge shots, looking for minder.

• Profile Photo

He went 'walkabout'.
    . . . But non-aboriginal employers did not fully understand the abrupt leaving and returning as a valid reason for missing work. The reasons for leaving may be more mundane than originally thought: workers who wanted or needed to attend a ceremony or visit relatives did not accept employers' control over such matters.' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkabout

If he does not come back soon, can I borrow 'Keeper'?

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I’m going to try that one at work. “No mate, can’t do that, I’m off on a little walkabout- it’s a cultural thing, it’s in the contract”.

Or just pull a ‘Lawrence Oats’, “I may be some time...”

• Profile Photo

"I am just going out, ... "
    A very gallant gentleman.

You know, many great dioramas could be created, if one was very good at figurine sculpting and painting. There are many great movies which really have nothing else for the modeller than figurines. Actually, figurines can be so influential to a model object. Without the human/life influence, it's just a model object, so to speak. For instance, this painted image of Lawrence Oats. Imagine this as a 1/6 scale diorama.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Oates#/media/File:DollmanAVeryGallantGentleman.png

• Profile Photo

Thanks for your previous reply to the bridge catching fire. I tend to get caught up in things I really enjoy doing (like most others).

Don't worry, it will eventually take a long time to finish. It is a diorama after all. So it will have lots of other stuff to be incorporated, as you know from your own wonderful dioramas.

@dirtylittlefokker

• Profile Photo

'Minder' has gone walkabout. He told his cousin 'Bender', via telepathy, that he is going to visit Peter Pan in Neverland. Never mind! So, now I am grounded till he comes back _ hopefully with some fairy dust to make my models magical.

Thank you all for your support, encouragement, and inspiration. Will venture, for a while, to the Wardell Bridge build. Hope to see you there.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Nice transition Peter. Very nice.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Wow - this is amazing. If you are as good a figure modeler as you are a scratchbuilt bridge builder, you could do the confrontation between Alec Guiness and William Holden in the water, just before the Holden character is killed and the bridge is blown. But whatever you do with this, it's going to be fantastic.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom for positive feedback.

Have not done figures larger than 1/72, and even they were rudimentary. To include A. Guinness and W. Holden in said confrontation would require a wider display base even for forced perspective. Perhaps another display, just with the figurines, bumped up against the bridge display may do the trick. But at this stage, I do not see myself doing that. The mini figures at 1/150 scale will be both challenging, and hopefully dramatic enough, for this diorama build.

Thanks for visiting this build.

@tcinla

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 7 months ago:

You keep stunning me Peter! Excellent work!