The Bridge on the River Kwai

Started by Peter Hausamann · 186 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Stephen, a mighty endeavor indeed. I first saw the movie when I was 10 when it was shown on the ABC-TV Sunday Night Movie in September 1966. Even though it was a “school night” I was allowed to stay up late. Just about got sent to bed for laughing at the POW’s floppy “clown shoes”. Having just returned from his 2nd tour in Vietnam my father was not amused, a quick “attitude adjustment” followed and we got back to watching the movie.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Rick, it's funny how we attach certain experiences to images, including music, feel, etc.
    That particular scene also shows how Alec Guiness noticed the shoes; and though a part of him wanted to halt the march, he knew that the parade has not yet assembled, and the soldiers were still proud to be a member of the British Army, coupled with discipline and comaraderie. Guiness acted that micro body language really well.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Peter, that’s so true, especially with music for me. While you’re considering the scope of the build, you might think about using one of the smaller model railroad scales (gauges?), N or Z to maximize the bridge, maybe in a forced perspective did with 76th scale figures set in the foreground. Well beyond my feeble diorama skills, but I think you might have the chops to pull that off.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Rick. I have been thinking about forced perspective as an add-on _ to be assembled/positioned during a private show-and-tell.

Also, I chose 1:76 scale because of OO gauge railway. Halving that again to 1:150 or so would be N gauge. The (N) figurines are quite small, but doable for creating scenarios. I still want to keep to a narrow width bookcase display, either in OO or N gauge.

There is a lot of different activity on any construction sight. At Kwai, there was no hardware store or timber yard to get materials from 😉 . Many mini dioramas can be installed.

• Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Peter! (@tecko)

Excellent choice! I loved that film also!

And building bridges (literally as well as in a figurative sense 🙂 ) is definitely an art you master!

For some years I was into breeding a few species of Psittacine birds, among them Lories (you do have the Rainbow Lorikeet in your country, as well as many other Psittacine birds, so I'm sure you know what these are) .
    Anyway, I had a pair of Yellow-bibbed Lories, raised since they were only a few days old, so hand-fed, and obviously very tame, that were the best "talkers" I've ever had.
    I taught them this beautiful theme from The Bridge On The River Kwai, and they would imitate it almost to perfection!

Big-Boy (the male, a real clown 🙂 ) :

Pingu (the female, really clever!) :

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Seriously? You're going to build the "..bridge over the river Kwai..." ?

• Profile Photo

Dolf, the Psittacine bird sure looks colourful. Reminds of finger painting. Nice photo of Pingu coming in with handing gear down.

A few years ago I agreed to look after a freinds cockatiel for a few months.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockatiel
    He drove me mad oO-) All day long he would say "What you doing?" I have to admit I answered him a few times to no avail.

• Profile Photo

Craig. Good to have you visting.
    Seriously 'yes'. Why, is there something I should know about?

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

24 posts even before any ground is broken in this project. Astonishing.

• Profile Photo

What can I say - 🙂 -

I just finished a few hours of image research on this project. Quite heart wrenching to see what these guys went through. Last year I watched a movie at the cinema, The Railway Man.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_RailwayMan(film)
    What a movie, and a true story to boot.

The true story of the bridge on the river Kwai has been told many times, and needs to be retold purely for awareness. However, I really don't want to tell this story as it was. It's too heavy on my heart to spend untold weeks of suffering.

I will try and tell it in another way. Not sure how to do that without taking away, or minimizing, what actually happened. I will see what happens when I get to that stage.

• Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Peter! (@tecko)

"He drove me mad oO-) All day long he would say “What you doing?” I have to admit I answered him a few times to no avail."

Ha!Ha!Ha!... Funny little fellow! 🙂

Yes, I know the Cockatiels, I did have quite a few also (and some breeding) .
    They are not the most "talkative" on the Psittacine familly, but some can "talk" or whisper (usually only the males do it, one of mine was a good whispering fellow 🙂 ) .

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo

Dolf, my favourite birds for an aviary would be the finches. They are small, and some are very colourful. I always liked the Double-bar finch. They are humble and meek; and very family oriented. Why I like the small birds in a large aviary is that they get a better chance to fly around and feel like a bird to some degree.

• Profile Photo

Had a closer examination of the bridge via available photographs. After drawing it up I was very surprised how well designed it was. It's basically symetrical, and it turns out to become exactly 400 feet long. At a 1:76 scale, this becomes about 1600 mm (5.25 feet) long. Quite large! May have to seriously consider half that size (1:150).

Both ends shown.

Plan drawing.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Great to see your approach to the design and construction of this one Peter.
    Difficult to separate from the story I know, but look at as a small tribute to all those who suffered and died. A way of helping to keep that story alive.

• Profile Photo

Thanks David @davem . I hear what you are saying, and have considered donating the model to a newly established army museum a few towns away. I would have no troubles recreating 'how it was' if the movie bridge was the actual one. But it does not look anything like it. As a result, the newly educated, from observing the model, would be false; and on finding out, would remember that more than the tribute. They may even think the forced enslavement was not real either, though in reality it was far worse than the movie depicted.

It would be okay if the bridge looked similar, but in this case they chose a design which obviously looks grander, over a shorter distance, than it was. Plus, the real bridge was over the Mae Klong River (renamed Khwae Tai), and not the movie river called Kwai, which was nearby.

Museum models are supposed to replicate history. So, in a strange way, this becomes a dilemma, for the "iModeler at the Movies". Especially if the movie is a fictionalized version of the reality. There is a good chance that our local army museum would not take the model for the above reasons. In this case, the tribute won't go any further than my lounge room. Not much of a tribute from there. Well, there is the Internet. But it would contain falsehoods.

My dilemma is to find a middle ground for my own sake. One that points to both worlds of fact and fiction. For instance, in the movie, the POWs seem to abide to the bridge construction, when in fact they risked punishment and death to sabotage it whenever they could. So, to show sabotage efforts, and torture, would point to reality. To show pride of construction would point to the movie. Both contradict each other. The goal then would be to build a model of contradiction . . . a difficult task indeed.