The Day the Music Died – Part 2: The Aircraft

Started by James B Robinson · 69 · 4 years ago · C-64 Norseman, Glenn Miller, Modelcraft, RAF Twinwood
  • Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Struttin' yer stuff! The UC-64 is looking good.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Louis @lgardner, not sure it deserves a "Best" stamp on it, but I'll take it. The one thing that has been bugging me is the wheels. The UC-64 had a heavy diamond pattern and the kit wheels are slick. Haven't been able to source some replacements. I have one back-up set that I could possibly Frankenstein. Just haven't pulled the plug on that idea.

Michael @mrieth, LOL 🙂 I see would you did there funny guy! Thanks for following on this journey.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Can you possibly find a resin replacement set from another aircraft that had a similar sized tire ? I had to "Frankenstein" a nose wheel for my last B-25 build. I found a spare wheel in the leftover parts bin, with the proper tread pattern, and then cut away the hub from the kit supplied wheel. Between the two items, I was able to make a suitable replacement. It's also possible that someone makes a resin wheel with the proper pattern and dimensions. If you know the proper tire size for the UC-64, and a photo of the tread pattern you are looking for, shoot me a PM and I'll do some digging in the spares box. You can also simply measure what you have and let me know what you are looking for...If I can find something in my parts stash that will work for you I'll send it your way... Happy New Year my friend.

• Profile Photo

Louis @lgardner, appreciate the offer but it's not quite that simple. The assembly of the wheels is not like your typical model.

Here is an image of what appears to be standard issue for the time.

Here is an image of the two mains, outside on the left and inside on the right.

The wheels integral rim mounts directly to the assembly. Not your typical connection. They skimped on a lot of areas with this kit.

I've got a few days before I go back to work, so I'm seriously thinking about getting the Dremel tool after the other set of wheels. What's the worse that could happen? I've still got the original ones to use.

• Profile Photo

Hey James, @jamesb

There's a company called CMK that makes various resin parts. They make a set of "cross tread" pattern wheels that are especially designed for a P-51 Mustang model in 1/48 scale.

After looking at the photo you posted, and seeing what size they are, it's highly possible they will fit. I actually ended up using a Mustang tire on my B-25 build. It was a very common size aircraft tire, and it's possible they were used on the UC-64 as well. I think I have a photo showing the size of the tire on a real life P-51... let me look and see if I can find it. Going from memory, I think it just might be the ticket.

To my eyes, those tires in the photo look to be more of a cross pattern than a diamond one... Here's a link to the resin part. You might be able to locate them elsewhere with a little digging now that you have a part number.

https://www.hlj.com/1-48-scale-p-51d-mustang-wheels-cross-tread-pattern-cmkq48178

It's available in 1/48 scale and also mounts very similar to how yours does.
    Hope this helps, and I'll be looking for my picture that shows the tire size on the side of a Mustang tire...

• Profile Photo

The Mustangs used a tire with a diameter of 27 inches. I found the picture of the Mustang tire I had but unfortunately it doesn’t show the tire size numbers that are on the sidewall in this particular photo.

Here’s a tire that was on a F4U and I purposely zoomed in on the tire size information on it. The F4U used a little bit larger tire with a 32 inch diameter. You can see the tire size numbers in this next picture of the F4U tire.

This is what I thought I also had for the Mustang. I still might have a picture showing the Mustang tire size, but it’s going to take me a little while to find it.

The difference between the 30 inch diameter tire and one in a 27 inch diameter at 1/48 scale is going to be .062 thousandths of an inch, (if I did my math calculations correctly). It might not be too terribly noticeable, especially when you consider the trade off you get with a more accurate tire tread pattern.
    Hope this helps.

• Profile Photo

Louis @lgardner, Wow...I had forgotten about CMK. I was pretty tired last night and not thinking it all the way through. Thanks for the spark!

I believe I might have a set for a P-51 which is kind of strange since I don't currently have a P-51 in my stash. I do have an extra set of P-47 wheels and I just checked, they are pretty darn close to what I need and even have the cross pattern.

I'll just have to pick the right set and then figure out the best fit-up.

Thanks for the help Buddy!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 4 years, 4 months ago:

James Ultracast makes the pattern I believe you're looking for that go on a P-51.

https://www.ultracast.ca/1-48-P-51-Mustang-s/114.htm

You may want to have a look.

Tom

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom @tom-bebout, I will take that into consideration. I could probably get those faster than the CMK parts. Going upstairs for some bench time and see what I have that may fit.

• Profile Photo

Update 12/31/19

This kit wheels were really bugging me. They were flat and very square faced as you can see in the previous images.

Digging through my stash of spares and resin replacement parts, I found my P-51 wheels from Barracuda Cast and an extra set of wheels from a Hasegawa P-47.

Here’s a comparison photo with the painted original kit wheels in the middle. The P-51 wheels looked a little small while the P-47 wheels were a tad bigger. Using either set would require some modification on the rims. Nice thing about the P-47 set, they had multiple options for the rims, including flat caps that matched the UC-64 wheels.

I received a set of punches for Christmas and decided to try them out. BIG MISTAKE! The first victim split into several pieces. The punch has a slight flare and this forced the wheel to split.

Next option was to use an electric drill, starting with a pilot hole and then a 3/8” bit. I clamped the first wheel with a C-clamp to keep my fingers safe. Using a wood bit on the first wheel, it left a pretty rough finish. Since the interior of the rim would not be visible, I was not that concerned. On the second wheel, I switched to a normal 3/8” bit and it worked much better. Here is an image of the original wheels and the replacements ready to be installed.

Wheels installed on the plane.

Up next will be the installation of the engine and prop. Then a final dull coat over the decals and a minor bit of weathering.

MTC………James B

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 4 months ago:

You're really doing something beyond what you expected, Jim. This is going to be great.

And a Happy New Year to you and yours.

• Profile Photo

Tom @tcinla, so true. This project started as a simple idea but has blossomed into much more. I still have a few other things to add to it before I will be calling it done. 🙂

Happy New Year to you and yours as well!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 3 months ago:

It's amazing how much extra work seems to creep into our project, yes? Each kit seems to start a new adventure, not just a "build!" Great bit of effort on this one - looking sweet.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks Greg @gkittinger. It has been a fun adventure for sure.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Outstanding work. The very embodiment of a ‘work in progress’ - the improvisations, unexpected challenges, and learning along the way. All wrapped up in a unique, multi-dimensional build. Thanks for sharing!

@jamesb